Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
WNC

spindle bearings

HubbardRA
I did one last summer, but I took the spindles to a friend and he pressed them out on his 20 ton press. I think he pressed them out each end. I'm not totally sure, since he also installed the new ones. He has done numerous decks, so he suggested that I give him the parts and let him do the removal and install. I did install some shim washers to eliminate shaft end play and make sure all blades were aligned to the same spacing from the mounting flange.

Agricola
Brass is the way to go. Please remember to wear eye protection. I once got a pice of brass in my belly and they had a heck of a time finding it, even with x-rays. I looked like I was shot with the blood oozing out. Brass pieces can go flying when you hit that drift. I was watching the Motorcycle show at the firehouse the other evening. Those guys were using a steel rod on a chromed bike. I don't think I would ever do that.

ka9bxg
I use the press at work.Only safe way to go.Don't forget the safety glasses when doing anything with a hammer.I plan to put a couple of mowers together soon,got a quote of $6.45 for each bearing.I thought it was a good price.Bob