Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

spindle bearings

WNC

I did one last summer, but I took the spindles to a friend and he pressed them out on his 20 ton press. I think he pressed them out each end. I'm not totally sure, since he also installed the new ones. He has done numerous decks, so he suggested that I give him the parts and let him do the removal and install. I did install some shim washers to eliminate shaft end play and make sure all blades were aligned to the same spacing from the mounting flange.

I rebuilt 2 last summer and used a brass rod and hammer and drove them out the way they go in. dont forget the sleeve inside when you reinstall the new bearings (if your deck uses them). JB:)

Brass is the way to go. Please remember to wear eye protection. I once got a pice of brass in my belly and they had a heck of a time finding it, even with x-rays. I looked like I was shot with the blood oozing out. Brass pieces can go flying when you hit that drift. I was watching the Motorcycle show at the firehouse the other evening. Those guys were using a steel rod on a chromed bike. I don't think I would ever do that.

I use the press at work.Only safe way to go.Don't forget the safety glasses when doing anything with a hammer.I plan to put a couple of mowers together soon,got a quote of $6.45 for each bearing.I thought it was a good price.Bob