Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
comet66

Tire Sizes

comet66
I'm trying to decide what size tires to buy for the front of my tractor. The tires on it are size 16x6.50-8. I understand that it means 16" high x 6.5" wide on an 8" diameter rim. What I don't understand is how that equates to the size I see marked in the catalouges such as 400-8.? Thanks

Dutch
The 4.00x8 tires are 4" wide (nominal) made for 8" diameter rims. For whatever reason, the manufacturer believes the outside tire diameter is unimportant for that size tire. I use both 16x6.5-8 and 4.00/4.80-8 tires and can tell you the rim widths and offsets are considerably different. While I routinely interchange tire/wheel assemblies on tractors, I would be hesitant to mount a tire on a rim for which it was not intended.

ehertzfeld
Tire are the most confusing thing Ive ever came across. For years I changed tires on car/trucks, to a point I get them untill you get to the light truck sizes, or the off road type. Now I change tire of trailer and now and again the trucks. Mostly on the side of the high way.....but thats another gripe! They use the same system as the passenger type but they do have a few that are completely messed. On the trailers they use 22.5 rims or 24.5. the point after the rim size, you would think is a half....but no! It simply means tubeless. Then there are the 11R 22.5 or 11R 24.5. No clue what the 11 is but the R is for radial. Ive been doing tires for 15 years or so, and I still have problems figureing them out. I know not much help to your problem, but I though you mite like to know that your not the only one who is tire size chalenged!!!!! LOL ELON

comet66
So I guess the only way I can know what I'm buying, is to stay with the newer size designations, where they tell me how tall it will be. My consideration is loader weight on my Sunstar, but I guess with power stearing the turf tires will not be too wide anyway. Well thanks for your help, it's nice to know I'm not the only one that does'nt understand it.