Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hydraulic Question

maxtorman1234

HI, I was wondering if someone might be able to help me out, I have fould a hydraulic ram around here, but it is only one way. I also found a valve, it is one way also. I plan on using these for my hydraulic lift on the 416. It will be run off the vickers hydro. Together, I know I will be able to lift the attachment, but How would i be able to release the pressure? I think I would need another valve, but i thought i'd ask here and see what comes up. THanks,,

Graham, usually one way valves and cylinders work in both directions, just not powered. Gravity will handle the non powered direction as long as the attachment is heavy enough. On a lawn tractor I'm not too sure that will work very well but it might.

THanks, I dont think a mower deck would be heavy enough. Would I be able to release the pressure to let it creep down? Or would I need another valve to release the pressure and force the fluid back into the resivoir? If not, would i just have let it creep down?

The valve should have a position on it to release the pressure. You cant force the fluid back to the reservoir because a one way or single acting cylinder only has one hose. To force it back in, it has to have a hose at the opposite end of the cylinder to push the piston in the opposite direction. It will be powered out and freeflow in like the cylinder on a pickup snowplow.

What I mean, is between the first valve and the cylinder, I would have another valve to lower it. This valve would open a line going back to the resivoir and sort of release the pressure. I thought it over again, if I put the cylinder where I want it, I wont be able to use a blade or blower on the front, and I would be able to lower it, but I would have no pressure to lift it. I guess I should look for a two way cylinder.

Graham, glad to see you came to realize you need too look for a 2 way set up. Almost told you you were wasting your time with the one way but hated to discourage you from trying with what you found for parts cuz hydro stuff can suck up a couple hundred dollars quick, if buying new. But a one way hydro lift on a tractor would be a real let-down.

It wouldnt be that great, but I really dislike the electric lift. Cant afford anything else right now, So I guess I might just try it and see how it works,