Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Loose "BGB"

SimpleMan

First, it's good to be back at this site after a a lenghtly absence. The information and comradarie here is second to none. What I have is a question regarding the 'play' in my Bevel gear box. I have a 1998 Sovereign, which I bought new. Other than a few little issues (as is often with things mechanical)...this tractor has worked flawlessly. Recently, however I have noticed that there seems to be a fair amount of 'play' in my BGB. When I rotate the pulley on the BGB, there seems to be a quite a bit of movement before the gears connect. A couple of simple questions: First, is it normal for a certain amount of wear to happen, and then to set itself to that point? As a subnote, when I first noticed this at the end of last years mowing season, I have not noticed any changes...even after the winter snowblowing season. Second, how much play would be considered normal. Thanks for the suggestions, and help. ?:) Simpleman

GORD with somthing that new i would check out what Mph suggested. I have a prob a 2000mod/yr sovereign with onne of the supposed "dog" engines (no trouble yet) how has your engine been so far? Being a "98" do you have one of the ohv/ohc engines ? take care john

Very timely question for me too. I was just looking at my 60's vintage 725 parts machine and find the same amount of slight play prior to the gears engaging. Very minimal movement I'd say approximately between 1 and 2 8ths but I'm not sure if this indicates undue wear or just is within normal specs? I'll be following the post for thoughts/answers. Thks.

I know that most of my tractors have a little.(need some for back lash) The last wonderboy 700 had a loose set screw on the adapter going into the bgb.Wore the shaft a little(not worth welding up and turning down) put a different adapter on and tighten set screw.Seems nice now.I do find a lot of the set screws loose and check them often.I have gotten quite a few worn Keys on some of the other tractors also.Bob

Word of warning, fix that bad key BEFORE it breaks a gear. My 917 had considerable play I suspected a bad input shaft key on the BGB. I was going to fix it later, told my son not to mow with the tractor until it was fixed. He asked if it was OK to drive the tractor without mowing? I said sure it probably won't hurt anything ... wrong! One day I noticed that it was now very noisy, I asked my son when did it start making so much noise, of course I just got a shrug. It was obvious that something much more is now wrong with the BGB. So I did surgery. Yep, the input key was very bad, but the input shaft was fine, but with that slop, we broke a tooth on each bevel gear! My procrastination cost me $90.

Is this 'key' in question located inside of the gear box? I do have the shop manual for this tractor, and if need be can take things apart to look, but don't want to do what's unneccessary. (Any of you who've done this know it's not a simple 1/2 hour job). In answer to the "what kind of engine" I have...yes it's the OHC Kohler. It's been reliable, but I've had to get used to it always using a little oil.

There is a tech article on rebuilding the BGB on this site, too much play can be taken care of with the shims, but you have to remove the side plate to do it.

The key I am talking about is on the input shaft outside of the BGB where the yoke adapter is slid onto the shaft. The yoke adapter is connected to the flex disk-connected to the drive shaft-connected to the flex dis.....

On my Lanlord there is a 1/2 inch access hole on the bottom of the frame. This hole lines up with the allen set screw on the input shaft. Just turn the drive shaft to the allen facing the bottom of the tractor and it can be tightened. (But its all inclosed, you cant see anything.) So clean off the top of the BGB and look at the very front top of the BGB, where it bolts to the frame. There is a small half moon slit where they come together. You can see the shaft, groove for the key way, the back of the key and the back of the yock/Drive shaft flange. If the allen is tight there will be no movement/play in the shaft joints when you do your test for back lash. Any play in the drive shaft in the peep hole is not good and sould be tightened to get a true picture of your BGB. A very simple test, if you know where to look and how to correct it before it becomes a BIG problem. I just went through my BGB and this is a area that is not hard but you need to pay attention to details. I forgot to tighten the allen and took it for a spin around the yard and up the street. Well when i got back the shaft had a lot of back lash in it. just in 2 min it loosened the flange and started to wear the key. Luckly it was not that bad and found the hole in the bottom of the frame and saved the day. Good luck any question let me know. Dhardin