Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New Tractor???

bkassulke

When you get a new(or old but new to you) tractor, what do you do before you run it??? Or do you just start running it??? Curious because I hope to soon have my first tractor.

I always check the oil & gas. If it is new to you then I would check the tranny oil & BGB oil. I would also check the driveshaft for play. I would check the BGB for play. I would grease the tractor at all the fittings (front axle,pto,rear axle.)One other thing would be the steering oil/grease. I spray oil any other parts that "rub" together. Once al that is done (and topped off) I would crank her up and take her for a test drive. Good luck John H

I usually just change the engine oil, and check the bgb and trans fluid, and take it for a test drive then oil it and grease it when I have time.

Whenever I get a new engine for, or in whatever, the oil gets changed immediately after its warmed up. Then I run it for a few hours and do it again. My brother took part in conducting a study on how much contamination leaves the factories and we talked about it over a few brews one night. What they did was to take a couple vehicles from each manufacturer, right off the delivey truck. Then they warmed them up and drained the oil and removed and cleaned the filters. They then screened and tested and measured the resulting shavings,dirt,gasket material,ect,ect. They all had it. Some a lot worse than others. (I wont mention any names) I,m sure small engine factories are the same so I just dont take chances. It sure doesnt hurt. Ken

I drain the old oil before I even fire 'em up if they been sitting out for quite a while. If its really nasty looking I pour in some desiel, crank it over for awhile, drain, then put in new oil. Then get it running good and check out everthing else that has lub in it . Test drive it around, listening for strange sounds, rattles, rubbibg sounds ect.

WELL these are all great suggestions but before i put any new tractor to use what i have to do is line up the fleet and take a picture of the new addition. :D

I check the oil,and then clean the carb, check to see if there is spark at the spark plug.Then add gas and add battery and see if tractor starts.;)Then go for test drive if engine runs.;) Then after change oil & clean or replace air filter. Karl

Ike check the BGB for loose bolts,slop in the input and output shafts both wobble and endplay.. Check the lube in the BGB also. Check the bolts that mount the BGB to the frame as this is the place that is the weakest link on the whole tractor.

You guys are forgetting another step. I found it to be a vital step. It usualy takes atleast a half an hour...........Trying to explain to the wife just why you needed another tractor!:D:D:DElon

Luckily Elon, I don't have that problem yet. Though it is a nice reminder to all those others thinking about buying a "new" tractor!!!

I make sure the oil is full, that it has fresh gasoline, that the battery is charged, then put the key in the ignition and try it. Once it starts, then I systematically go through the other items. I don't like to put much into an engine until I find out whether it needs a rebuild. If it doesn't then I change the fluids and set it up for long term usage.

quote:
Originally posted by bkassulke
Luckily Elon, I don't have that problem yet. Though it is a nice reminder to all those others thinking about buying a "new" tractor!!!
Or those thinking about a new wife.:D