Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Just curious ,Whats the largest older Simplicity ?

BrownA

A couple weeks ago I picked up a simplicity 7119H. I wasn't shopping for one but stumbled across it. It had the 3 attachments that I could use so I bought the whole deal. As I previously posted the motor possibly threw a rod. It's the 19 hp 2 cylinder Kohler. I do just about all my mechanical work myself including rebuilding small engines. Well, this made me curious about what I picked up in a tractor. My questions are did Simplicity make a bigger tractor than this model beside the 4040 ? I am talking about tractors built before say 1985 or so ? How did this twin Kohler 19 hp compare to the Onan 2 cylinders ? Is the Simplicity 4040 / Powermax the ultimate older Simplicity large frame garden tractor ? If so where does what I have stand ? The reason I ask all these questions is because I am very curious depending on the condition of the engine if I should fix the tractor because of what it is ? ( of course that depends on the rest of the tractors condition too ). Does anyone know what the 7119H sold for when it was new ? Whats a good used one go for with just a mower deck ? Any help is appreciated, Thanks, Al

Yes, you should definately fix it. we have a 917 (7117) and its been great all its life. They are really great engines. We use ours for everything, they are really powerful too. From what I know, the 7100s would be the next thing lower than a powermax, then A/C made a 5000 series deisels. And simplicity made a 22HP and 28HP deisel. Im pretty sure the engine is better than what is in the powermax for parts and labour costs. Apparantly the onans are really expensive to fix. Kohler parts arent too bad, and I find them really easy to work on. Definately fix the rod, because this tractor will handle all the work you ever need. Seeing how powerful our 17 is, ill bet that 19 will handle plenty of work. Even if the rest of the tractor is in poor condition, I would still fix it. If it helps, we bought our 917 new in 87 for 6000$canadian with the mower deck. I wouldnt know what they would go for now, because all i find are the old singles:(

My hotline for farm ewquipment guide comes up with $5800 new .Low auction is $1900 and high is $2600 I know that the book is a few years old but it is handy for reference.Bob

Over here in west Wisconsin, I found for my friend a very good 1987 Sim 7117 with hydraulic lift, 48" deck, and a snowblower that was used only a few times....$1200.

My sim 7117 was 1200.oo w/ 48 deck, manual lift and threw both rods while ideling before i could get to it while moveing lawn furniture during a mowing session. i have a onan that i bought on ebay but the connectivity and electrics are not very easy to comprehend. So it sits.

The Sunstar is larger than the 7100/Sovereign series but smaller than the Power max series. The Sunstar was to take the place of the power max after it was discontinued and people wanted a bigger tractor.

Hi, In the early 80s we sold the 19s in the 4500 range. When the series were discontinued as Sovereigns they listed around 6700. with power steering. The K and KT series for practical purposes is discontinued by Kohler. Short blocks for the KTs are in the 1700-1900 range depending on the spec number. It is very common for these engines when they blow to distort or break the right side of the crancase. As for Onan It is my understanding that they can ship no more engines for new applictions to the US due to emissions. Back in August the word around the industry was Onan [Linamar] is gone effective Jan 1 due to the 2004 emissions regs. The word from my Onan dist is that it is over. We do a kit for the 7100 series that includes everything needed from the engine to the last screw needed to upgrarde these units to a Command engine. The complete kit is 1995.00 plus shipping. This Command should outlast 2 or three of the KT engines. For what it is worth, we have a 7116 with a brand new kit in and all new gears, bearings, shafts in the BGB, all new belts and bearings, blades and idler in the mower for sale at 3195.00 Like getting a new tractor. If you are interested in the kit just click on the web site and e-mail me or call me at 1-800-462-2218 USA. Al Eden

Wow again bad news for my tractor experiences. Onan may still have support parts for sale. Some how i need to get a lemonade stand going. When things go sour it time to sell lemonade eh? Buying new with a warrentee will at least extend the pain.

Hi, As I understand Linamar Onan short blocks are currently available, but last Spring when I checked on a CCK short block at Cummins I was told my cost 2500. and a 6 to 10 month wait. The CCK was never transferred to Linamar and short blocks were still built by Onan in the US only when they had enough orders to dig out the molds. The Onan generators have been using Robin engines for several years now. The Onan engine business was sold to Linamar in Canada several years ago. On the newer Linamar versions there were some short blocks in stock about a month ago when I checked for a skid loader. As I remember my cost was around 2000 on the one I needed. I understand that John Deere has a number of engines laid in for their units. As I ask in a number of areas no one seems to know what the future regarding parts etc will be. I guess we will have to wait and see. We can still get a couple of spec # Kohler Ks. They can only be sold for replacemnt use and come without starters and regulators. Good news, I got a call from a guy a week ago about Briggs 16 short blocks. I told him there have never been any, he said he heard there were now. I checked and now there is a short block listed for the 326 series Briggs now. As I understand it it has just recently came out since Briggs discontinued all cast iron engines. It is my understanding they are having it cast in China. It is my understanding there will be some new small cast iron engines coming soon from another company. Also built in China. China is not encumbered with a lot of the regulations with casting iron that we have over here plus all of the labor costs. Hope if we get in another war we don't have to ask for a truce while we ship some iron over here to build tanks and ships. I currently have a guy that imports some stuff from China looking for something in an engine that could replace the K Kohler and 326 Briggs. My 2 cents worth and its free, value accordingly Al Eden

Gang, You cannot go wrong with a kit from Repower Engineering. They fit, look, and feel like the original factory jobs and have have clear, concise instructions. My experience with the Kohler Command engine that Simplicity and Kohler put into my new Sovereign (under warranty).

I don't doubt it for a minute Roy. I have much invested in attempts to get a good tractor then to repower it. and then to find that attempt is full of bugs. To put 1900 into this ole machine when i can only mow with it is a fantasy. I will be 3600 bucks into a old mower that cuts better than a new one. My Wife will want me to turn my self into the loony bin . I'm wanting to fix mine but I also want to buy a new rig with a warrentee that can do light landscaping. My Wife understands new and warrentee. But she like many others think old is old. Im am here because i like the old better than the new. I have lost some with tractors, i need to win some before i can justify an expenditure like that. I will buy from AL Eden when that time comes.