Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Loader question...full size tractor or not???

AC808

My wife and I are currently in the market for a tractor with a bucket...for cleaning out the horse shelters and other non-heavy duty uses. The work being done would be minimal for a large tractor such as a Allis WD or WC (which she approves of acquiring). I on the other hand have given some thouhgh to finding a bucket for my Landlord or other similar AC\Simplicity tractor. Since I know that its not going to be overworked Im leaning that way... What do you all think? Full size tractor that wont be used often but can be found quite inexpensively OR finding a bucket for the Landlord? Thanks for you input!

jay IMHO i guess it would depend on many things, first your budjet, how much you can comfortably afford. Second the availibility of a loader attachment for your landlord, used i think these are well over 1k in good shape (probably more) I would lean towards a seperate machine that you may be abel to do some other chores around the house with, like landscaping snow removal ect ect. if it is in your budjet and you have the space for it i would find a seperate machine with a reach that could load a pick-up possibly to get rid of the manure ect. It may be easier in the long run to do that than to search for a loader for the landlord, modify/fix that, modify and or fix the tractor to accept it and if you use the tractor to mow with will that compromise that job in any way. All in all if you can find a nice used whole machine i would go that way. Especially when the "boss " approves already :D

Hi, I would give serious consideration to buying a small skid loader. These units that will slip through a small yard gate etc can be bought in the 2000 to 3000 neighborhood in pretty decent shape. They will have anything from a 14 or 16 Tecumseh or Kohler up to 24 Onans. These are very agile and so much faster than a tractor and loader. They are 4 wheel drive and turn around in their own length. They are also fast and excellent for moving and piling snow. It is easy to make a wide snow bucket for them. My thoughts, they are free, value accordingly. Good luck, Al Eden

I agree with Al, they are much easier to store and take up alot less room, but I myself, would probably get a loader for my 416. It would also be neat to have a WD or WC. But But I would get the loader.

I agree with Al to. A skid steer loader will do the job faster than a tractor and loader. Unless you can get extra use out of the tractor by doing field work or other chores where you need to pull something I would say go with the skid steer. Just my opinion.

I have to go completely with Al. I have a AC 616 with a loader and it's not easy changing implements. It takes about 45 min.- 1hr. to take the loader off and subframe. Then you have to put the other attachment on. It's a pain!! If I were you, I'd get the skid loader. Especially since you already have the OK. I don't think you would be sorry. They make all kinds of attachments for those things now. Good luck in what ever you decide.

Id go with a skid loader we have 4 that we use on our farm the smallest being a Gehl 2500A with a onan 20hp gas weighing arround 3000 to the largest being a Case 1845 repowered with a 60hp Cummins Diesel and weighing arround 6500. A skid loader will blow you mower and loader out of the water no conparson. id go with the loader on a mower as a last resort. If you want to get any work dun at all go with a skid loader or a WD and loader. Dont get a WC as they came with out hydrolics and people that added them usly put the pump on the PTO which was not live. The WD had a live power clutch that made the hydrolics live. If going for a tractor id look into a 35 Massy Fergeson. Live all the way arround and a wide front on that you would be set also great for mowing lawn with a grouming mower on it. also about getting skid loaders stuck you would bearry a mower and loader allot faster than a skid loader. If you know how to drive them it takes a heck of alot of mud to get one stuck.

Manure would your tractor look like junk after the third year my guess. What ever your buy make sure you give that as much attention as the animals as you are caring for.

BLT has a very good point, especialy for something with belts underneath. I'd go with the skidloader for your aplication. But I do have a 916H with loader and forks for sale if you decide to go that way.

thanks guys...i was planning on staying away from a skid steer... much easier and cheaper to work on a reagular tractor...thanks again

One draw back to a skid steer is the rough on finish surfaces such as lawn or driveway, even if you stand 'em on two wheels when turning like I used to my 610 Bobcat. Pretty sure thats illegal nowadays on a job site but back when I had mine I'd likely have made a hole for an osha man anyway.