Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Bunky

BGB Help???

Bunky
I tore apart my BGB for my project tractor The gear on the Cone clutch shaft looks good but the one on the input has teeth missing Should I change these together or just look for another input gear?????? [img]/club2/attach/Bunky/Gears.JPG[/img]

Al
Hi, These gears should always be replaced in pairs. If you use one new and one old gear and the old gear has .002 wear on the face, the new gear will only have one tiny spot of face contact with the old gear. The teeth that are making and exiting contact will have a .002 gap and never touch or support the teeth in mesh until they are in full face contact. This will cause galling on the face of the new gear and cause the both of the gears to fail prematurely. The same principle happens when new lifters are put on old camshafts in cars and in 100 miles the cam is gone and the new lifters ruined. The same principle happens when a sprocket on a chain saw or a roller chain is worn and a new chain is put on. Only one tooth is pulling on the chain and as the tooth goes in the chain the tooth is not contacting the link. This principle is why ring and pinions for rear ends are always sold in matched sets. My thoughts and they are free, value accordingly. Good luck, Al Eden