Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wheel wts completed

MPH

After 16 hole through 4in iron on a 2in drill press, which equalled 48 times of lifting and blocking the wts to get the 5/8 hole, some ginding because the center of the rim being square made itself an issue to contend with, and a nonproductive 4 hours at a friend house with a back woods machine shop, I now have a total of 83lbs on each wheel of the Landlord. Plus two extra for the B-112 when I put the 10.5 lugs back on.

If you look close you can see my square off cuts. guess I need to figure out photo shop so I can draw circles.

58 lb'er mounted

OEM wt mounted over new ones

Sticks out same as having doubles on.

Looks good to me Marty! Recycling at it's finest. You must have all kinds of traction now. How much more traction does the extra weight give you?

I was pretty impressed with the increase in traction Mike. Its been rather lame with one set of wts on. Took it for about a 45 min test run looking for old snow to plow through. Most fun was my walking trail through the woods which had about 5 inches of crusty ole stuff on it. Wheels did a fair amount of chunning but she kept on going. Nice full speed run for about 500 yards, corners gave the most trouble.

The large stock weights are 50# and the thin ones are 25#. I have one of each on fluid filled 23X8.50-12 lug tires, they go for about 150# each that way.......

Nice job! what where the weights from originally, that you were able to recycle them and make a nice job of it shows a true craftsman at work. Never mind your brother laughin' t your two inch drill press you did good man, real good!

Kirk, don't recall ever hearing of larger wts before, You got a picture of them bad boys. Were they B series wts? Rick, other then some sort of road work construction equip I have no clue. I was working for a guy in Fairbanks last fall and he was getting rid of a bunch of old, junked out equip. I spotted these and some sort of roller pins, I think for cat tracks, that I scarffed up, with his permission. The roller pins look like perfect size for front counter wt project.

Marty, for you I'll even take off the outer weights so I can get a pic of the inner ones... Wait a minute, let me do a search and find the post.... lol Well, I found a pic that shows all three sets at the same time when I painted them. For some reason I couldn't find the post. I think it was "Wheel Weight Weight?" or something like that

The left set is a lot thicker than it looks in the pic, they're 50# each. The middle set is thin and 25# each. The front set is 35# each. I got these weights with my first Simplicity tractor. I have another set of the 50# rears on the Putt Putt, but they're Bolens weights where as these have on markings that I recall....

Morn'in, Here is a post that I replied to rescently. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27996 These are the larger weight that I have on my L-112. I also have the larger set that kirk has on the left side of his his picture above, but mine came off of a cub cadet from my local dealer. Rob

Marty Lookin good, i think Alaska is going to be the new test bed for this club, at least for "cold weather trials" If you can get better traction with that stubborn snow up there then the rest of us should be in good shape. Good job on the weights! ps Just dont tell me you had to use the wife's sink time for any part of it? Or did you ?? :D take care john

Nice job Marty. The square cuts show up fine in the pic's. They flush out real well with the wheels. To quote my first journeyman. "Heck anybody can do the job with the right tools and equipment. Takes a real mechanic to do it with his bare hands." Thanks for sharing these.

Thanks Kirk.. You must have posted that one when I was gone, least thats what I'm gonna claim instead of CRS. Wonder if those 50 lb'ers are Simplicity wts? Didn't realize those front wts were that heavy, must be filled with gold dust to weigh that much for no bigger then they can be. John, its like i find with making a living, the job can be finished by several methods, but it sure is a lot faster with the right tools.

I came across a slip of paper that had these on it: Front Wheel Weight 162097 Rear Wheel Weight 229307 I do not recall is the part number for the rear weight was for the 25# or 50# set. Here you can see how the Bolens weights fill up the wheel of the Putt Putt, which is OEM 6X12 size.

Kirk,I thought those front weights was 25# each...I have a set but I never weighed them but mine sure dont feel like 35#...Maybe I am just stronger than I thought,LOL

That is cool Marty, nice job! Seattle sounds good to me, heck thats just a hop, skip and a jump from Boise LOL. 73 Scott KD7VKW

Marty, your weights are really nice! Kirk, I've got some weights that look an awful lot like those 50# weights you've got to the far left. Mine are yellow, almost like AC yellow. I was told they were bolens or sears but I know they're niether sears or bolens. I thought they might have been for the old Montgomery Wards made by Gilson. I'd really like to know who made them.

These weights are heavy but not as heavy as a set of bolens weights I've got. My bolens weights are so big they stick out from the side of the rim at least an inch, they are the heaviest weights I've seen on a garden tractor.

Chriss, those don't look anything close to the wts on my 71 Wards Gilson. The one on the 77 Gilson I had were the same shape except they were plastic covered concrete.