Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sno-hog tires

RickS

I just ordered a set of sno-hog tires made by Carlisle. After reading about how much Marty liked his and how well they worked, I decided to give them a try. I will be putting them on my 7012H. This tractor has chains only, no wheel weights and works great. I am hoping that with the blower I will have an easier time turning the tractor. I will give everyone an update on how they work. Kent, how does your tractor with AG's front and rear work? I am toying with the idea of doing the same on my 3416H. I will be clearing rocks from my horse pasture this summer and want some extra traction. As an aside, my dealer has several used tractors for sale. Off the top of my head a 707, 7100 series, and one or two more. If anyone is interested please let me know and I will pass the telephone number on. The dealer is located in western Maine if that matters. Rick..........

I'll give you more encouragement Rick. My first reported test run was on hardpack, yesterday, testing my new wheel wts I went blasting through old snow in unplowed areas where the snow basicly turns into bee-bees after several months of freeze-dring and just rolls under the tires, them sno-hogs did well, so much so the steering was grabby.

The ags work well for steering traction, since the outside ends "bite first" when you have them reversed (like they're marked). They're a bit "grabby" because of that, but you quickly get used to it. They also work well in loose dirt. I've never had them "fill up" with either snow, mud or dirt, like the original "stud type" do... My only complaint with the ags on the front was that I had to adjust the steering drag link up high, since you could catch a lug on it in a hard left turn.... That'll get your attention the first time it happens, since you've locked up a front tire on the inside of a hard turn!

Kent, How do the tri-ribs compare to the a AGs in side traction? I just put tri-ribs on my 716H this weekend. I sure like the way they look. Hope they have the additional side traction that they look like they should have.

Do you guys, with non-traditional front tires, anticipate any adverse effects on your lawn or will you switch back to turf front tires in the summer?? Dan

Rod, I only have tri-ribs on the 2012 that has a loader on it, so I really can't compare well. With all that weight on the front, it will go where the tires are pointing -- period! Plus, you don't get the same kinds of side-forces that you do when plowing with the dozer blade at an angle... I put the tri-ribs on it purely for ease of steering. It had the wide turf tires on it when I got it, and steering was a "both-hands" effort even with the tractor moving -- and impossible when the tractor was sitting still.... These front tires don't damage the lawn at all -- if the ground is dry...

Kent, My turf tires were badly dry rotted and had poor side traction when pushing a blade or using the snow blower. I liked the looks of the tri-ribs and they appear that they would have lots more side traction. From what you have just said, then I am glad that I am planning to have power steering on the tractor that I am putting the loader on. I am planning to have 18x9.50x8 turf tires on the front and 26x12x12 AGs on the rear. I know I have been talking about this for quite a while, but I really do plan to build it whenever I can get the time to get it started.

IronPony, I will not be switching back to turf tires in the spring. I will be running Sno-hogs year round. I will update the club on how the tires work on grass later this summer. I am hoping that the tires will not tear up the grass too much. Rick..........

I bought mine from Tucker Tire on eBay. I've now bought 4 pairs of tires from them with no complaints at all... http://stores.ebay.com/tuckertirecompany/plistings/list/all/dept3/index.html?dir=-1&col=2&sotimedisplay=2

Charlieson, Got my tri-rib tires from ebay. I'm pretty sure he also sold the Hogs. The guy's email is rustybore@worldnet.att.net and he runs a tire business from ebay. I just can't find the ebay link. Email him and ask about the tires. They cost $20 each and the shipping to Fredericksburg was $8.56 for two tires. This was the buy now price not an auction price. I called him to ask about payment. He said he had a few left, but he only lived a couple miles from a distributor and he could get more. His name is Carl King. PM me if you want his phone number to call him.

I mounted these new 16X6.50-12 Snow Hogs today. They hold two gallons each of WW fluid. I'm hoping for better steering while snow plowing.

Here's a better look at the tread.

We have come full circle. While searching the www.simpletractors.com web site I came across one of the original members' T-12 tractor. The tractor is a Homelite made by Simplicity. The writeup stated that for the past three or four seasons he has been running sno-hog tires and reports no problems. The member's name was HappyJack. I have not seen any posts from him in a few years and don't know what happened to him. Maybe Kent knows. I should have the new sno-hog tires on shortly. And will report back how they work. I am real interested to try the tires out while clearing my driveway, but that depends if we get more snow or not. Rick......