Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

porter cable ?

dogboy

Did porter cable make tractors ? local paper has an add for one with a mower deck and plow blade,made in 1952.asking $200 ,is it worth a look?

The ones I have seen have been light wieght stuff like MTD's ect..But they was'nt that old either..Probably mid 70's early 80's is what I have seen..

Yes, they made them. Yes the old ones are a little heavier duty. Someone in this club collects them. I was contacted about one I saw. I'll have to look around, I thought I posted a pic of it but it was a while ago. I think I even have a few parts for one. Back in the summer I made a trailer out of a frame I couldnt identify. I kept all the parts I had and months later when I saw the one below at a friends house, I decided that all the parts I had looked identical to his. I have a frame, rear diff, steering assembly, steer axle, steering wheel, and the clutch pedal. It was a rolling chassis with no front wheels or sheetmetal.

I'm not cetain but I think there was a relation between the Porter Cable tractors and Moto-Mower who made the Massey Ferguson Executive series which were yellow and came long before the MF7,10, 12,14, 16 etc which were made by AMF.

• 3 weeks later...
My best friend's Dad had a Porter Cable tractor. I believe it was only 5 or 6 horse, but that depression in the grill in Rokon's pic sure looks familiar to me. They swore by it, and used it for 20+ years, to mow and plow snow. I believe it survived (with "resussitation") being stolen by kids and launched down a near vertical powerline's right-of-way (all gravel, about 1/8 of a mile drop--not sure how far it made it). Provided years of service from the '70's to, I think it was in 1993, during a big blizzard (NYS), that my friend jumped off of it to avoid being killed by a skidding car, while plowing his driveway. Okay, he was out in the road at the time. (I explained that this had something to do with his loss, but he was strangely unreceptive to this viewpoint....) The car skidded into the recently-vacated tractor, and broke the rear wheels, which appeared to be cast. I never got around to attempting to weld them (I'm told it's possible) and he junked it. A sad end to a loyal, albeit small, machine.... Probably would have been smaller than you'd like. Definitely not in the large frame tractor-class you're probably used to here. However, if this history is any indication, apparently a very resilient little machine.... Call me crazy, but I suspect beer makes me nostalgic....

I'm the club member who is into Moto-Mower, and that Porter cable shure looks like a moto mower "Lawn Master" circa 1963 ish. What state is it located in ? I'm in Long Island NY, but have had machines shipped in from as far as WI. Thanks for posting.