Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dav

plow hitch

dav
I'm getting ready to make a hitch to mount a Brinley plow behind my Big Ten. I didn't see any listed/pictured in the front part of the club to "borrow" ideas from. I am wondering how other club members have mounted their's. The plow I have has a 'U' shaped mount with several 1/2 inch holes to pin it to the tractor. Since no pins for any attachment on the Ten is 1/2 inch, I figure the plow is from a bigger tractor. Never having used a land plow, I wonder if I should make it so that it only follows right behind the center of the tractor or is it desirable to be able to offset it to one side?

UCD
This is what you are looking for [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28240[/url] [img]http://i15.ebayimg.com/02/i/01/5f/8b/b5_1_b.JPG[/img] [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2381911586&category=50377[/url]

Charlieson
Where does the chain attach on the plow? I have the hitch, brinley plow, but I couldnt figure out how the chain attached. I got a piece of barstock and drilled holes in it to attach the chain from the hitch to the plow. Worked ok, but plow wouldnt run straight and tended to kick sideways. My brinly plow maybe a newer model and I have an older hitch on a 3212.

dav
Thanks for the input, guys. I was going about it all wrong. I would have had a rigid mount that had no side play. Going to try to make one of each style while oportunity presents itself(the foreman left for Vegas today for a week and I'm in charge:D) But the pics raise a few questions. One mount uses a chain and one a rod to lift/lower the plow. which is better? Do I want to be able to apply down preassure(I have a hydro so my arm wont get tired). Will the plow break thru sod on its own or do i have to dig a starting hole?

MPH
'No down pressure is needed.The plow will cut down and level off on its own.' After you get it adjusted properly. Thanks Rod. I'll try to remember to do that, ya know, I don't need it today so it slips away easy

rokon2813
Marty,(and gregc) in your case I would use a chain instead of the rod. Chain was used on the earlier tractors that had the rod for the rear lift, allowing for "float" the rod with the sleeve hitch would be used on the newer tractors that had cable lift, the cable allowing the "float". With a solid rod for both the lift and the sleeve hitch, in the event the plow goes deep enough for your lift handle button to lock, your "float" is gone. Same scenario as when you are plowing snow and lift the front wheels off the ground, your lift handle locks in the down position and you have to push the lever forward against the weight of the tractor to unlock the lift handle button?? If youve ever had that happen you know what I mean.

MPH
Thanks Rod, wrote them down. Did the 3314's have that newer style on them? Makes sence to me Dan. Been thinking about making up spring loaded style lift rods for my snow blade. I have that problem a lot.

gregc
Dan, I know what you're saying about the lift handle button getting locked. Same thing will happen when using the tiller if you don't put a pin in the last lole in the lift quadrant or keep the button depressed. With the last hole pinned I still have float mode, the lift handle just moves. I like the solid hookup for using my rear scrape blade or my box scrape when I want a little extra down pressure.

PeppyDan
What is the best way to adjust a plow & how deep should I expect the plow to cut? Iv'e been told by "Old Farmers" that the depth should be about 1/3 to 1/2 max. of cutting width. I realize that the type of soil can have an effect on the amount the plow will draw into the ground. Here in Ohio the soil has more clay than in other parts of the country so I am curious to know if anyone actually measures the depth they plow(other than my dad & I). I am getting about 5" on a 10" plow in the right conditions but most of the time it's more like 3 1/2 to 4. Dan

Mack
Here is a link to the IH Cub Cadet garden tractor FAQ on Moldborard Plow Set Up. http://www.ihcubcadet.com/IHCCFAQ/PlowSetup.htm Very informative. Anyone intrested in in plowing with your garden tractor should also check out some of the Plow Day events posted on this site. http://www.ihcubcadet.com/forum/messages/104/12178.html?1067478521

Almost too much fun to be legal.:D I attended an IH Cub Cadet Plow Day Event in Indiana in the spring of 2002 and it was great fun!I think in the fall of 2002 there was a Allis B-110 or 112 pictured in the field but that was the only Allis/Simplicity I have seen so far.I think the next one near Ohio will have at least one and maybe two Allis Chalmers in the field.

Charlieson
On the older hitches like UCD has pictured does the chain attach to the plow or the hitch? If it attaches to the hitch how? I can almost see it in Macks picture but not quite. I plowed my garden this fall with mine, but plow kept cocking to one side. thanks, ddh

HubbardRA
Mine is attached to the beam of the plow with two pieces of flat stock that clamp to the beam with a bolt above and below and there is a third bolt on the top that goes through the chain.