Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Engine Info

beuce

I toasted a piston in my 3112v last night. Piston is split vertical. Big question is what to do now? Rebuild, new engine, or? Does anyone know what model engine is in my 3112? I am pretty sure it is a 300xxx, just not sure of the last three digits. I am sure I saw engine model number somewhere on Simple Tractors, but can't seem to locate it again... Thanks all!

Well if you want to keep the same original engine you would have to rebuild, but you could always put a new engine in it and add some horse power. Depending on how much damage you have on the engine and how much you are willing to spend, it might be cheaper to buy a new engine. My 2 cents.

Thanks for the chart UCD! One further question, does anyone know what new engine will bolt up to replace my fried one? Thanks again!

The engine will need a special flywheel and will have to be ordered most likely. Rebuild will run from 200-300$ depending on if the engine needs to be bored. I would get a new engine, Same Base Engine, but updated. :D

You do "not" need a special flywheel. I have three tractors, and two of the engines did not come from Simplicity tractors. Nearly all of the flat bottom, one cylinders will fit. A Cub Cadet and some John Deere engines will not fit without some modifications. They have different oil pans, and I know the flywheel bolt pattern is different on the Cub Cadet flywheels. I mounted one of the Cub engines on my 61 Wards for a while, then replaced it with a larger engine.

Wow, new engines are expensive! Anyone know of any twins that will bolt up without to many problems? Or any other suggestions on how to get it up and running with out spending a whole lot of money? I am kind of in a bind. Trying to figure if fixing is cheaper than parting out or selling whole with attachments and buying something else.

If you do a total rebuild, bored, and crank turned you should be under 500 buck and then you know what you have. Buy another used and you might be lucky, you might right back where you are now. 500 bucks won't buy a GOOD push mower nowadays and if you add a zero to it you won't have much of a rider mower. If you want something that can do the work your 3112 can, take it times two and keep the change. Then, add up replacing whatever you have for attachments. Just my way of lookin at it..

How does the cylinder look? Is it really messed up to the point that it has to be bored? If the cylinder is not badly scored, you may be able to get away with a honing and piston replacement. This depends on the depth of any scratches or gouges. If it needs boring, this will cost about $50 and a new piston and rings will probably be around $100. If everything else is OK, then this is the minimum you will be able to get away with. If it doesn't need boring, you will still need to buy the piston and rings. You may find a cheaper price for the parts online.

BLT, I saw the one for sale in the classifieds, but not sure if I want a used engine I know nothing about. If I could snag one from someone I knew that would be the ticket. HubbardRA, I haven't tore into it yet, but I am assuming that it is not that bad. I heard it clunking and shut it down right away. Pulled the plug and cranked it and saw the piston split right away. Who knows really, until the head is pulled. MPH, I agree with the total rebuild and not being able to replace what I have. I can't find anyone to do a rebuild as cheap as you mentioned. I have no knowledge of four strokes and do not trust myself to do any of the work. One place I called estimated around 600 depending of what was wrong. Thanks everyone for the info...