Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
clueless

Simplicity Sunstar

clueless
Help! I'm looking for a new (to me) garden tractor, and found a Sunstar I'm considering. It's a 1990? approx. with a little over 900 hrs on it. The engine has been rebuilt (less than 5 hrs ago.) It has a 60" deck, and a front snow blade. Any ideas on a fair price? What kind of base price did these tractors have when new? How many hours of use could I expect, assuming I treat it kindly? Any opinions or advice would be great. (Asking price is 2K) Thanks! Steve

PeppyDan
I would say grab it if it looks to have been taken care of. These are great tractors & the front blade would be a nice attachment to have. I have 2 Sunstars, both about 1987's. Both have about 900 hours on them. The only thing that is worn on mine is the front axle pivots. I have never had a blade for mine so that may cause more wear on the front end. Is it a 20hp tractor and does it have the Kohler Magnum engine or the Kohler Command engine?

clueless
It's a 20hp Kohler Command, and the tractor as a 60" deck. My only concern is the number of hours, as I'm not sure how long these tractors should last. I realize that it's like mileage on a car - you can have an older car with 70K miles that's been abuse and in worse shape that a similar car with 150K miles. I really have no idea how much a similar tractor would cost new today - $5 or $6K? The fact that the engine has been rebuilt is great, but I've heard that these tractors occasionally have some front axle problems. Are the front axles easy to work on? Thanks for your help!

mwells
Take it. I have a 1920 Ultima and it has over 1000 hours on it. The engine has never been rebuilt and it hardly uses any oil. The weak point is the deck lift sometime bends and won't lift straigt, and the front PTO wears out after awhile. I need to install a new one. They are about 100$, but after 1000 hours whose complaing. My front end piviot points are also getting warn, the previous owner must of not greased them too often. I love the tractor it works great for everything. I mows any weeds you throw at it, and the hydraulic lift and power steering and hydro are really nice!! You will feel spoiled after running one these for a while. They went for around 7500 new and the blade was another 800. I'd buy it if I were you, you won't regret it!!

maxtorman1234
Any A/C or Simplicity will work probably at least 5X longer than those kind of hours. Our 917 Has about 3000 hours on it, Havent done any work on it at all. Sure would like a sunstar, but theyre just too expensive for me. I myslef think $2000 is a bit much. We bought our 917 for $6000 with the deck additional in 87'

Nubian
I bought my 1920 Ultima for I think it was 2300 with just a 60" deck. It did have a nice custom paint job on it, 20 hp kohler Magnum had 1300 hrs on it, although he said it was rebuilt @ 800 hrs. I say GRAB IT!!!!.You will not be sorry,and like mentioned above it will spoil you.

clueless
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm more inclined to seriously consider this tractor. (maybe I can even work the price down a little.) I do have another question about this particular type of mower deck, and maybe someone has a similar set-up. Is this deck capable of mulching? I think most deck will allow you to use mulching blades and a plug, but there are some that are incompatible with mulch blades due to the deck design. Anyone know for sure on the Sunstar 60"? Thanks!

mwells
I mulch with mine and it works great. Put gater blades on it and plug the discharge and you good to go!! I've found it works pretty good going in reverse too. I don't think its very good on the deck though. Hope this helps!!

comet66
I also have a Sunstar and a Agco-Allis 1920H (same tractor) both with 60" decks. I use mine like a brush hog if the tractor will push it down the mower will cut it up. One has 550 hrs. the other with 1100hrs. I have found one thing I don't care for about these units and that is the location of the front U-joint. It is a pain in the b*tt to get to. Oh and brace yourself if you ever have to buy a belt for that deck. Other than that I love em'. Two grand with a good deck and a rebuilt engine is a pretty good deal in my humble opinion.