Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Jerky B-110

JBute

I have a B-110 that has begun to jerk real hard when you are letting the clutch out. If you let the engine idle slowly and start out in first gear it is not to bad. If engine is running at high speed and you start out in second or third it will lift the front wheels off the ground. Never used to do this. I tried a new drive belt and that did not help. It lets out a loud screeching sound in the area of the drive pulley on the side of the angle drive gear box. The gear box seems nice and tight. Once under way the tractor runs smoothly. No noise from angle box or transmission gears. I noticed that there is a plastic type washer between the outside pulley flange and the inside pulley flange on the drive puley of the angle drive gear box. Also that pulley looks as though it may be adjustable as to belt groove width. I am very puzzled about why this tractor has begun to jerl so badly. It is scary to drive. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this terrible jerking. Jim Bute jimb@deskmedia.com

Haven't done one yet Jim, but I think the drive pulley splits apart. May be rusted up and just needs cleaning. I believe they are suppose to be a friction slip type of deal. My 725 is a real wheelie do'er

I believe the washers are there to prevent the jerking by allowing the outside of the pulley to slip a little while the belt engages. here is a plastic washer inside of the pulley as well as the one on the outside beside the mounting washer. If either is missing it will cause an increase in the effect you describe. I fixed mine by replaceing both of these washers on a B-10 I had and it smoothed right up.I'm sure maynard or someone can give you a link to or a picture of this brakedown. Hope this helps, Dave.

• 2 weeks later...
Lifting the wheels can be fun but hard on the rearend and tubes. Alice has pulled them almost 2 feet carb is screwed new one to be mounted soon weather permiting.

Won't know if just cleaning mine helps til sunrise but the pulley is real simple to take apart. Started new post with pics on the matter.

I have a wonderboy 575 that is quite a ride.Every time you take off in high gear the front wheels will be off the ground. With a trailer full of wood it really stays up for a while.Wheelies are fun!