Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
maxtorman1234

Restoration Advice

maxtorman1234
Hi, I know i've been wanting a nice restored tractor for a while now. Im not sure what I should do. Should I restore the 410 or the 416? Im just scared that the current condition may look better than when im done. I'd have to use the same tires, muffler, seat ect. The 410 has already been repainted, so the dirt and grease is mostly off it right now. I just dont know what I want to do. What would be better to restore? Also, I would have to reuse the decals. How would I properly (but cheaply) restore a tractor to decent condition? How do you guys get the paint to look so good? What do you put over it? Thanks,,

BLT
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. In other words if it looks good to you, that is all that matters, to each his own. If there was a standard, we would all be living in the same house, driving the same car and buying the same toilet paper. We don't do that, do we?

D-17_Dave
I base the looks of a tractor by how much and what I use it for. If it looks decent and it's a weekly workhorse I'd just touch up or wash and wax it. Sometimes a good cleanup is all it needs to brighten it up. However if it's in real rough shape you can still do a little painting and really brighten it up still without doing a full on restore job and fixing everything. So I guese the bottom line is how do you want it to look and the condition you want it to be in verses the amount you have to spend on the project. I like to fix the tractor mech. and use it to get the bugs out before tearing into it to repaint. That's why I have a lot that works, but looks rough.lol.Hope this helps, Dave.

ehertzfeld
Ive been using this stuff. I do 2 coats with a brush or mini roller, then sand smothe, then a few coats with the spray. works pretty good. I have yet to use a clear coat. not sure what to get. Elon

Boney
maxtorman, a couple of this to remember is paint on tractors/car/bikes always looks better on the computer than in real life. Another thing to consider is do you want the tractor to be all original or not. As other have said and what are you going to do with it. My number one thing is enjoy the tractor,,,,,,i can't wait to start this spring on mine.

maxtorman1234
Well, the 416 is what we will be cutting grass with this year. The 410, I plan on taking to the get-together to pull with, if i get the engine problems woked out. After that, I will be pulling loads of wood with it, so It might just be ok the way it is. Thanks,

rjgoth
Nice question. Here is my take on the restoration issue. I am assuming that you are planning on keeping your tractor for as long as you can, so I take a stance that you should then focus your restoration project for the long term. So I would spend a bit more on your restoration and do the job right the first time. Lets say you do a "light restoration" now, in say 5 years you will need to do another one to keep it nice looking. In 5 years the old briggs parts will more than likely be very difficult to buy and they will be very expensive, also the other parts on your tractor if they are not replaced or refurbished will probally need to be replaced. So then you will be faced with a very expensive restoration, or you will be forced to junk your tractor. The other option is to do a complete restoration and bring the tractor back to factory condition or as close to it as you can get. That means a fresh engine rebuld now while parts are still available. A high quality paint job with good paint using a spray gun not any hardware store spray paint cans. Go through the transmission replace bushings, bearings, seals, gaskets. Basically rebuild everything that needs it. In the end you will have an awesome tractor that will easily last you 30 more years instead of 5 0r 10. So I see it as an investment in the future. In 20 years you can have a junk tractor, or a nice looking tractor that is still in good working condition. Dont be afraid to "use" your show condition tractor either. If you are smart when you use it, you think ahead and just done abuse it. You can use it all you want just keep it washed and well maintained and you will be fine. So thats my take on the restoration issue. Best of luck, Ryan

simplicity707
I just started priming the pieces to my '64 Broadmoor. It was pretty much a what you call "basket case" b4 I started, but once I see how good it's coming, thats what keeps me going. I just got the orange paint for it and the 500 degree paint. Oh and BTW, I actually found the original motor. It's a 7 horse out of a 707, but hey, it's got the original carburetor with the oil bath air cleaner. It's up to if you want to restore it or not. I'm doing mine, and it still will be used to mow the grass and haul stuff. I'm gonna try and keep it looking good, and touch up the paint if it get scratched. Im my eyes, I would restore it, but thats up to you.

dhardin
Its the small thing many times that make the difference in a tractor thats all ready in good shape. Degresse, Rub out the paint, wax, check and or change fluids, replace as you can afford any worn and or falty parts. Many of the upgrade that members here have added are great featurs to add to a older tractor. Its my apinion, if the AC Simpicitys of yesteryears have lasted this long. All I hope to do is give it some TLC and after it leaves my care the next owner can have 20 or 30 years of workable production as well. Lets face it most all of the "Free-bes" we all come across are the results of the previous owners geting tired of being seen on the old tractor and having not taken care of is as well. Not because its poorly designed or not well engineered. 1950s 60s and 70s tractors are NOT made the same as todays trators, we all know that. For these reasons we all get a worm fuzzy feeling when we see our "pride and joy" and love to talk about and show them on sites like this.