Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Points and Condensor?

mbrook

Last night I pulled the 10hp Briggs engine out of my parts tractor to put it in my working tractor. I know no back ground on this engine except that it runs and is very tight. But when I pulled the points cover off I found something disturbing. No points, no condensor and the cover was full of oil. Because of this I have a few questions: 1 - How did the engine run without points and condensor? 2 - With the points cover full of oil, is this a problem or is it because the points were absent thus allowing the plunger to come out? 3 - Will the points and condensor from the 12hp work on the 10hp?

On my 10 Hp the points and condenser were removed, The coil is used only, If you notice the Plug wire runs from behind the blower housing, The points just keep the engine from firing every rotaton, With no points the engine just fires every rotation, Intake stroke+ Ehaust stroke. The points plunger needs to be sealed up with a rubber slide on of some sort. Hope this helps. :D

I think you have a converted engine. Spark is now triggered by an electronic module. And someone forgot to plug plunger hole. I assune it is running right now.

To my knowledge the engine has not been converted. There was no electronic module, no exteranl coil. The wire attached to the magnatron was hooked to the wire from the ignition. And yes it did run.

The engine was probably converted to Magnetron (solid state) ignition. Normally, the points remain so the plunger will keep the hole plugged, or the points are removed and the plunger hole is plugged with a screw or a drive-in type plug. In addition, some of the points and condenser mounting screw holes run straight through. The screws need to be installed to keep the oil from leaking. Check to see if the engine has spark. If so, make sure that the mounting screws for the points are plugging those holes. If the points plunger is missing, clean the plunger hole and fill with a little silicone and seal with electrical tape. This method of plugging will not damage the plunger bushing. If the plunger is there, pull it out just far enough that you can see a groove or "step down". Clean the plunger and bushing face, smear with silicone all around, and wrap with electrical tape. Reinstall the points cover, sealing with silicone. The reason for not damaging the plunger bushing or sealing the plunger, is so that the points can be reinstalled if desired. With electronic ignition, spark occurs on every revolution, rather than every other revolution with the points. Some of these engines will make a "popping" sound as the spark occurs on the exhaust stroke. Installing the points will allow spark only on the on the power stroke, eliminating the "popping" sound. Pat

quote:
Originally posted by mbrook
To my knowledge the engine has not been converted. There was no electronic module, no exteranl coil. The wire attached to the magnatron was hooked to the wire from the ignition. And yes it did run.
With Magnetron, there would be no external coil. The ignition armature (coil) looks identical to the point type coil with the exception of a small module which is built in to the armature. You would need to remove the blower housing and be aware of the visual difference in order to tell. The easiest is to check for spark before you do anything else. If it has spark without points, it has been converted. Pat

There are a few pics of the Magnetron ignition here on Page 2 of this post.... http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=10303&whichpage=2&SearchTerms=frame,up,restoration,2012

Mark, The best way to seal up the points plunger is to remove it along with the bushing pressed into the block. Then install a 5/16" cup type welch plug. Tom (PK)