Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

2000 Soveriegn TH-18 Problem

nahrwoldt

Gentlemen and Ladies, I would like to know how many 1999-2000 Soveriegn owners/dealers have had problems with their Kohler TH-18. I have smoking (white) and leaking valve covers at this point. I also have had metal shaving in my oil (on third oil change) by the way the engine has 96 hrs on it. Simplicity says they will do nothing because Kohler has said they will only change valve cover gaskets and nothing more on inspections. I believe there is more than just leaking valve covers. I have read Roy's posts and believe this a Simplicity/Kohler problem. I am wondering what other experiances have people had with this engine and just how many have been replaced by Kohler. At this point I haven't torn the engine down, but that will be my next option. Any help would be appreciated. Tim

I doesn't go away. Roy is the only replacement I'm aware of & that's after some 'severe' follow up (Atta Boy Roy!!). Mine has been doing it from square one, I just change the oil a lot (really the filter, as it seems to burn some). I talked to a few dealers here & tried calling Kohler a few times, ran out of time & patience. JP

Tim I have a 2000yr sovereign i bought last year, while i have not had any problems with mine i am crossing my fingers and just keeping up on oil/filter changes mine has like 50/hrs so far. My first question to you is wether the machine is still under warranty? If it is i would send a registerd letter to simplicity. If it is not i would still follow through with letters/calls to simplicity and Kolher. Myself I paid ofer 6,000 for the machine (nos) and this problem worrys me. I guess my best advice is to be a loud pain in the *** to simplicity and kohler, send a letter to Mr. Weir just persue the matter, and if you have any maintenance records handy photocopy them and send them in. There is no way even if the machine is outa warranty if you can shoe it was well kept that it should grenade in 96 hours. We both live in Ma, so call the attourney generals office and ask what if anything can be done, lord knows the way the legal system is in this state you may have some kind of a leg to stand on. goos luck john

Tim, I wouldn't recommend that you tear down, or even touch the engine. If you do, you will surely be blamed. Leaking valve covers will not cause smoke from the exhaust. Metal shavings had to come from somewhere, and that's not a good sign. Kohler should resolve your problem. Simplicity should help you hold Kohler responsible. That would be the right thing for both of them to do. There are probably only a few dealers that visit this website. Don’t expect any of them to jeopardize their relationship with either Simplicity or Kohler by divulging the extent of the problem, even if they knew. If neither Simplicity or Kohler will do the right thing willingly, the ball is in your court. How much time and effort are you willing to expend?

Gang, The metal shavings are probably from disintegration of the camshaft lobe for the fuel pump. The leaky valve cover gaskets will cause the cylinder cooling fins to collect crud and overheat the engine. My engine had 105 or 106 hours on it when it went South (started missing). My timing belt pulleys were also beginning to show severe wear. The OHC TH-18 engine was/is a disaster for Simplicity and Kohler. It is my understanding that the problems were/are so bad that Kohler no longer makes this engine. I suggest you contact the regional Kohler distributor for your part of the country regarding the engine and Jim Tubman at Simplicity for relief from Simplicity. In my case they coordinated to provide a new engine and a repower kit from Al Edens's Repower Engineering. I did have to pay the labor but my warranty had expired. They covered the parts due to the low engine hours. My experience,

Hello everyone, My Y2K Sovereign smokes and leaks oil at the valve covers. It currently has 127 hours on it. I have used Opti-4 10W30 oil since day 1 and change the filter and oil about every 25 hours. I have tried to keep the cooling air passages free of debris so overheating may be avoided. I have not detected metal shavings in the oil, however, I will begin to pay closer attention. I also paid over $6K for the machine and am somewhat concerned.

This is the second kohler engine problem in the soveriegns. The KTs were famous for blowing a hole in the block. Mine have Magnum twins we'll see if they last.

Really, we've never ever had troubles with our KT17 at all. Its had some hard work hours on it, but it just keeps goin. We estimate it has about 3000 hours on it, and is not even showin many signs of wear yet.

Tim, warranty is a great thing if properly applied, like when you changed oil and filter did you keep a receipt of you replacement purchases? Have you saved any of your contaminated oil? Anyways I would warm it up enough to get a good contaminated oil sample in a jar. Also take your oil filter (contaminated), along with all the receipts you can muster up to your dealer and then plead your case that you understand that it might not be a Simplicity problem, but steer you to a Kohler rep to resolve the issue. If it is indeed a Kohler problem, you should be compensated and to what degree I can't tell you. But keep this in mind, Kohler might already know there is a problem and will handle each problem seperately. But be persistent and bug the dealer with at least twice daily calls to find out if there is any Kohler rep to call. My guess is that there are a certain amount of dealers that will throw up a fire wall because the warranty is out yet because of the low hours he don't want to be stuck with anything and his knuckles turn white when talking policy. What ever you do don't put a wrench to anything other then the oil pan plug until you can something resolved.

Graham, Your KT is a series II with pressure lube. The first KTs came out in 1979 in the 7117 and 7119 and I believe were spash lube engines. The 7119H I have has a 20hp magnum and I'm dropping a 18hp magnum in my early 7117H. The magnum twins use the same heat shields and mufflers as the KT. I believe these problems are why Al worked up the repower.