Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
jmh_trust

differentials

jmh_trust
A few questions about rear ends on Landlord 3410's and Baron 7013H's. I understand automotive differentials, open, limited-slip, torsen, etc. What I am curious about is what exactly is in the units above?. The 3410 is early 1970's 3-speed and the 7013 has a Vickers hydrostatic. Searching this forum gave some hits refering to a nylon bearing with set screws for setting torque differnce between wheels (20 ft-lbs given as correct setting for set screws). Are these true limited-slip differentials with clutches, pressure springs? Thanks. Nick

HubbardRA
Nick, The older ones like was in my 61 Wards had the two adjustment screws. What they did was apply friction between the right side hub and the left side axle, which goes through the right hub, to produce a limited slip effect. On the newer units such as I have in my AC 716H and 712S tractors, the friction producing the limited slip is created by loading the spyder gears against the housing with springs. These rears have eight spyders in them so it doesn't take much friction per gear. I'm not real sure about your 3410, but I know that your 7013 does not have the adjustment screws. It is the same as my two ACs. These rears are not made like an automotive rear. They have straight-cut spyders. Unless you have seen the parts breakdown or the inside of the differential it may be hard to visualize. Hope this helps answer your question.