Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Electric Clutch for my sweeper

Tue

Are there any difference between horrisontal mounted clutch or vertical mounted? I have never worked with those before but I really would like to mount an electrical clutch on my sweeper. It seems easier than building an mechanical clutch }:);) I thing. Today I have no clutch, when I start the tractor I sweep and that really is not great. Other than that I’m fairly satisfied with my home build hitch it’s not as prof. As the original but with an electrical clutch I thing it will do great. If I get time later I will post a picture. Tue

Tue, There shouldn't be any difference in an electric clutch itself. However, some of the clutches that bolt to the engine block on horizontal engines may not be able to be mounted when the engine is installed vertically. This photo is an electric clutch from a vertical engine. It can be anchored to the tractor frame instead of the engine. [img]/club2/attach/dutch/clutch1.jpg[/img]

Tue, go to this website. http://www.warnernet.com/turfgardenframe.htm They are one of the largest manufacturers in the USA of electric clutches for the turf industry. I downloaded some of their material and is does not give a preference to shaft orientation. Their biggest concern appears to be the air gap adjustment when the clutch is at rest, so you get the maxmimum gripping force when the clutch is engaged.

Tue, Here'a picture of a Warner electric PTO similiar to the one in Dutch's picture mounted on my Sovereign (Briggs engine). At the 1 o'clock position is where I mounted a "finger" that prevents the field coil from rotating.

This newer type of clutch is much easier to mount than the older style which had the field coil mounted to the block in a position that was concentric with the rotating element on the engine shaft. However, to mount the new style clutch, I had to lift the front of the engine so the clutch could clear the tractor frame. I was in email contact with Warner Electric when I was searching for an electric clutch. I have several drawings of available clutches for both 1" and 1.25" diameter engine shafts. If you're interested, I could email them to you. I could also supply the email address of the Warner Electric contact if you'd like. (I posted the Warner info last summer, you may have seen it)

Thanks for all the great info that really helped a lot. Seems easy to mount on my hitch, so I thing I’ll go for it:). I don’t have a clue what they costs though?, but I’ll try and use my company contacts and see what price range they are. I don’t thing a sweeper needs the same momentum as driving a mower deck so maybe I should see if I can find a relative small clutch witch uses less current? I’m not quit sure how much spare current I have on my 4212 tractor. Dutch you worked a lot with a sweeper this size how much momentum do you thing is minimum to keep the sweeper running? Phandad: I will try to search the archive and find the topic mentioned, otherwise I’ll be back for you offer, Thanks.

Tue, All of the garden tractor size electric clutches I've seen specs for require 4 amps at 12v to keep the clutch engaged. The current draw is constant, it doesn't change with engine speed. I paid the J Thomas Company $175 for the clutch last summer.

Tue, I never measured the power required to operate my broom, but it seems like it uses just as much and sometimes more than a mower deck. I would compare it more to a snowthrower. I don’t remember what your broom looks like, and I’m not familiar with the 4212 tractor. Electric clutches typically cost between $200-$400 new. They can be bought for $100 or less used or surplus. Here’s what’s available on eBay right now. > [url="http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?query=electric+clutch&socolumnlayout=3&socurrencydisplay=1&sotimedisplay=2&ht=1&sosortproperty=1&from=R10&catref=C3&sacategory=2032&BasicSearch="]eBay listing[/url] Have you considered a spring loaded backside idler pulley as a clutch? It shouldn’t take much to rig up a chain or cable to disengage it remotely. How about a Centrifugal clutch? If you could find one for a large go-cart to handle the horsepower, it could be placed anywhere in the broom driveline. Here’s one available from Northern Tool. It’s only rated @ 6hp, but that may be enough for a broom. > [url="http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&TEST=Y&productId=23053&categoryId=0"]Northern[/url]

Tue, I am assuming(big bold assumption)that you will clutch your sweeper on the sweeper itself as your current pulley setup is a two pulley arrangement on a single shaft. Another thing that has to be considered is you charging system. The clutches I think draw in excess of 10 amps. Your tractor I think is 3.0 A charging and 1.5 for the lights.