Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How much oil does the 320421 (14HP) Briggs Hold?

I have a 1971 Sovereign model 654**** 3314V-14HP Garden tractor which I recently purchased and I have no idea how much oil it holds. Is there supposed to be a dip stick? It has a tube with a cap comming out from the bottom of the engine. It takes way too much oil to fill it to the tube and when I get close to that point, it sucks oil into the carb. via the breather tube. HELP.... I currently have 1.5 quarts in it. Also, what kind, and how much oil goes into the trans. and the front bevel gear housing? Which plugs are the ones to use to read the level? I have parts diagrams for it but no books on these type of maintenance items. Also, when I go uphill, I think the variable drive belt is slipping, it goes much faster downhill. I have been playing with the double-nutted adjustment on top that goes to the clutch pedal, but mabe there is another? The belt doesn't look bad.... Thankyou for your help.

Hi Russ, Your engine should have a dip stick where the tube is sticking up. The engine should hold 2 qt's of oil to be full. Also its possible the engine had a new short block installed at one time, reason is sometimes who ever installed the short block may not have transfered the old tube from the original engine. I could be wrong about your case but just stating what I have seen in a few cases. I don't want to comment on the other questions you have as I am not 100% sure about them. Do not run your engine with only 1-1/2 qt's of oil in it or you may damage it. Someone else please take over from here and feel free to correct me on anything-next in line please give your 2 cents worth. Best to ya, >>->happyjack<-<<

a Qt and a half should be about right if posable remove the extension tube the new height shuold be the fill level if you can't remove it run 2 Qt and see what happends if it smokes alot then drain some out and try with a qt and a half

Russ just a follow up on my first answer about how much oil you should put in your 14hp briggs. The 10hp-12hp and the 16hp briggs all hold 4 pt's or 2qt's how ever you messure your oil. I looked this up under Simplicity 1973 spec's for the briggs engine's to be sure. >>->happyjack<-<<

Use 90W in both bevel gear box and trans. If you have the 90'elbows use upper plugs to fill from until it can be seen on elbow floor. Both check plugs are about a third? of the way from the bottom. If you don't have elbows than you have square headed pipe plugs - fill to bottom of plug. Next...