Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

MOTOR ID

JJ MARSHALL

CAN ANYONE IDENTIFY ENGINE MODEL320424 TYPE0122 01 THIS MOTOR IS ON A MONTGOMER WARD LAWN TRACTOR NUMBER APEARL TO BE B&S NUMBERS. ALSO ENGINE LOOK LIKE BRIGGS.WHEN I TYPE THESE NUMBERS IN COMPUTER. IT SAYS NO MATCH. WOULD TO KNOW THE MAKE HP &YEAR.

That is a Briggs number. The engine model number is deciphered as follows: In a five digit model number, the first number is the cubic inch displacement. In a six digit model number, the first two digits are the cubic inch displacement. In your case, it is a 32 cubic inch engine. The next digit is the model design series or variation. In your case, "0". The next digit, "4", designates a horizontal flo-jet carb, with a mechanical governer. The next digit, "2", means a splash type lube system, with a flange mounted sleeve bearing supporting the pto end of the crankshaft. The last digit, "4", designates a 12 volt belt drive starter/generator. I could be wrong on this point, and if so I hope someone will correct me. I believe the design series "0" designates a 14 horsepower variation, "1", a 15 horsepower variation, and "2" and higher are 16 horsepower variations. As to the year of manufacture, there should be a code number in addition to the model and type numbers. The first two digits of the code number are the last two digits of the year of manufacture. Pat

According to my Briggs service and repair manual the 1st digit after the cu.in. is the Basic Design Series, relating to cyl construction, ignition, general configuration,etc. Now with a statement like that, I wonder what office they were running for. Somewhere this winter I came up with the thought that a 5 meant 15hp and a 6 meant 16hp, think it was off the #'s that someone posted off thier 15hp Briggs. Course, that deduction could be full of it.

quote:
Originally posted by goatfarmer
You really need to find the 'caps lock'button....
I WENT TO LOOK AGAIN AT MONTGOMERY WARD TRACTOR . WAS LOOKING FOR ;CAP LOCK;BUTTON BUT DON'T KNOW WHAT IT LOOK LIKE. CAME BACK HOME AND HAPPEN TO LOOK AT KEY BOARD AND THERE WAS A BUTTON THAT HAD CAPS LOCK ON IT.I PUSH IT 3 OR 4 TIMES BUT NOTHING HAPPEN. MUST BE BROKEN.

JJ, He meant the capslock on your keyboard. On line typing all caps LIKE THIS is considered shouting. Weird isn't it? I know you are new to computers. Are you sure the 320 is not at 326? My signature is a protest to try to bring Maynard back, Others can adopt it if they feel the same.

JJ, the Briggs system is: model number 320424 Type number 01220-01 Code number say 74022301 which breaks down as: year 74 month 02 day 23 assembly line and manufacturing plant 01

Where did Maynard go??? I was gone for 5 days and was wondering last night as I came across no replys by our old friend.

Actually, the post is just titled "Help" and it was moved to the Coffee Shop where only members can view it....... http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28534

Thanks for the PM'ed help Ron. I hope the whiners get moldy cheese and the squekers get lubed with the oil from Sams oil pan. Maynard, your alright, don't let 'em get ya down. Very few bleeding hearts ever did anything for the blood thier hearts pump out.

didnot know until today about the cap lock no no my apologys to each and everyone .it was easy for me to see and read them. and thank for all of the replys on engine id. sorry goatfarmer. i didnot know this when i replyed about going back to the tractor to look. A JOKE.