Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

cleaning rubber wheel

ehertzfeld

Im trying to clean the white steering wheel I just gor from Kirk. Iv'e been using soft scrub with bleach and it's doing ok but I'm wondering if there is any thing ealse out there that will get it clean and looking very white with out damagine the rubber coating. Any one have any ideas? Thanks Elon

i try to use "oven cleaner" on everything from my local dollar store. try a test spot first but should work alright i think.

after you are done doing the cleaning you may want to put some type of armorall type protectant on it.

I like the oven cleaner idea. I picked up a cast dutch (not our dutch) oven at an auction. Warm it up, spray on the oven cleaner and three passes latter it is good as new. A good washing and then oiling and it is great. The question is.... can oven cleaner be used to degrease them really caked on parts?

The part in question has a rubber coating on it[:0] Are we sure we want to encourage using oven cleaner on it?

I just thought of this one, instead of oven cleaner maybe try some bathroom cleaner that works on mildew. Some of it is supposed to take the stains out, but it may just be that they contain bleach to do that. How about that Oxy-clean stuff? I've never used it, anyone here who can give us the low-down on it?

I haven't tried Oxy-Clean. On the Yesterdays Tractors web site recently a gentleman reccomended CLR cleaner. He daid it works on a lot of stains.

How about a tire cleaner from the auto parts stores...Alot of the local auto detailers use stuff I think called bleach-wite..

quote:
Originally posted by mowerman1193
How about a tire cleaner from the auto parts stores...Alot of the local auto detailers use stuff I think called bleach-wite..
Ive been thinking of trying that. I just couldn't think of the name. Thanks. Oh btw I will be getting some of thouse parts. I'll emaill you in a few days. Thanks Elon

greased lightning from the grocery store , or purple power if you can't find any gl, then use a good rubber protectant or armor all.