Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Agricola

A RBT is now in the Garage

Agricola
I did it, I broke down and bought a 4211. Runs pretty well but... Here are my questions. What fluid is put in the transaxle? The manuals that came with it says hydraulic oil. Is this the regular stuff that can be bought at the farm store? Where is the fill hole? Is is possible to get the black front plastic piece. Mine has a corner missing and I would like to replace it. Lastly, how have people used peanut butter containers as replacement lenses for the gas gauge? How do you get them to stay in?

thedaddycat
I believe Dutch posted about using the bottom of the PB jar, try a search and you might find it. If I recall correctly he just cut it out then sanded or filed it down just enough so it was a "snap fit" with just friction holding it in. Don't forget to drill a small vent hole, too....

IronPony
Using a PB jar bottom is a really easy fix for the gas cap. Some say if you cut the piece just right it will just snap in place. I had to use PVC glue but I think model airplane glue would work just as well. Don't forget the pin hole to let the tank breath. New ones are available. Club Member, dlcentral, (Dave) said, about a year ago, he could get them at a good price. There is an archived thread about this. Dan

mowerman1193
I had a 4211 but sold it last year...was a very nice mowing tractor and I wouldn't mind finding another one but this time I want a hydro one... Most all of those I see have a corner broke or cracked out of the grille...mine had a crack in it and I never did run across a good one...not avalible new either..

Al
Hi, The transaxle in these units use a bentonite grease provided by Tecumseh [Peerless] This grease is about the consisitancy of gun grease. Bentonite is a type of clay that is mixed with the grease. The transaxle is lubed with one premeasured tube of grease when assembled, and doesn't need to be replaced unless the transmission has been submerged in water. There no seals and the case halves are not sealed. Al Eden

KSever
John, Congrats on the 4211. I have one that I use mostly for mowing. I have question for you now, that is if this 4211 is a gear drive. Is your Reverse gear really slow like about the speed of driving in first gear? this is the only thing about the whole tractor I don't like. But what can i say I think I have about a total of $90 into it including replacing the front grill and adding headlights. Kris

Agricola
The reverse gear on the 4211 is slower than molasses in January. Matter of fact, 5th gear, at full throttle is only about 6 mph. I think 1st is .9mph and reverse is about 1.2 mph. The numbers are in the operator's manual that is downloadable. When I bought the machine, the former owner had both the original pats manual and operator's manual.

Agricola
Thanks for all the info. The guy I bought if from didn't have the piece for the grill so it will be replaced. As for the transmission, the grease that is in there is being accompanied by gear lube. The seller put gear lube in a couple days before I bought it. I guess I will have to watch for spots on the floor.