Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Dave-Saratoga

hi-lo problem

Dave-Saratoga
yesterday i put the b-10 into reverse, with the hi-lo in hi range. when i took my foot off the brake, nothing happened. i then shifted to forward and the tractor moved, but something was slipping, especially on turns. there has been slippage ever since i rebuilt the transmission last spring, but not this bad. the hi-lo unit isn't all that complex a mechanism, but something could be worn out. i had inspected it internally last spring and everything seemed to be fine - some wear, but solid. so- is the outer drum of the hi-lo supposed to spin in the high range, cuz in low range, it is held stationary by the forks on the shift handle. the belt is used, but has lots of life left in it. my first thought was to pull off the hi-lo and replace it with a standard drive pulley & thereby troubleshoot the tranny. any suggestions or comments?

Kent
The first thing I always check on a High/Low is the two set screws on the locking collar on the back of the High/Low pulley. If one of them is loose, the pulley can slide in and out on the transmission input shaft. This can cause it to "lock" between high and low ranges, or cause it to grind/squeal from not fully engaging. If these set screws are loose, clean them and the threads on the pulley hub well, then Locktite them to hold them in place.... [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/high-low/figure2.jpg[/img]

mwells
My B-10 Doesn't have a hi-lo on it but it did that same thing, i took off the Diffrential case and the gears were striped. I ended up putting a new diffrential on it and it works great!!