Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

York rake (landscape rake)

TBOLT

I was thinking about buying a 7 ft. landscape rake for getting rocks out of my garden. We have a lot of flint rocks anywhere from fist sized to hardly can pick up size. The more I plow, the more I find. I think I'm growin rocks.Would those rakes work good for pulling rocks from tilled soil? I don't know of anyone who has one so I'd have to just buy one at about 350 bucks to find out if it werent for this club and its helpful folks. Thanks for your info/opinion..:D

When I was young, visiting my grandparents on thier dairy farm was always a highlight of the summer. However, when it came time to work in the garden the job of picking up rocks always fell on us kids. I personally picked up enough rocks to pave a road to the watering trough for the cows,andstill the best thing that garden ever grew was rocks.Now believe it or not I now own this farm and it still grows rocks awfully well. My 2 cents worth is the rake may help but will probably pull alot of dirt with it. But anything beats picking them up by hand, but nothing works as good as by hand. I know this isn't much help to your ? but no matter how many rocks you pick up there will still be plenty to pick up when you get done playing with a rake.

I rented a york rake a few years ago and was pretty happy with the job it did until it rained. Can you rent one to try? They'll at least windrow the rocks to make them easier to pick up with a potato fork (or manure fork, whichever).

A York rake will work up to a certain size rock and then you just have to pry 'em out with an iron bar.... I have a 4' tow behind that does OK, having a bigger tractor with a 3-point hitch and downpressure would work better I think. From the size rake you're talking about you have one of those....... Here's a few of my rocks...... http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=17144&SearchTerms=Garden,Leveling, http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=17974&SearchTerms=Garden,leveling,update

Tony, not sure what your looking at mounting one on or if your looking at a pull-behind type with its own two wheels but my 5 footer is plenty mounted on my B-112. In fresh tilled dirt, even with everyother tine removed you will pull a lot of dirt, Running at an angle helps. I have found it most useful on packed dirt, like if I till in the fall, then rake in the spring while the dirt is hard from snow cover wt. Was hoping to work on building a 'rock-hound' based on the ones bobcat has this winter but I can see now, maybe next year..Thats really the only machine I've used that effectively REMOVES rocks, everything else seems to mostly rearrange them.

I dont think a york rake will work inititially. You must get the big rocks first. I have found that using a moldboard plow without the coulter works very well for revealing & unearthing the big/medium rocks. Then a york/landscape rake will cull the smaller/medium sized stuff. Plowed 40 acres of former pasture/woods near Elkton, MD in the spring of 2001. Pop pulled a 4 bottom plow w/o coulters. I followed with a hay wagon picking up the rocks. We had a pile as big as a two story house - A landscaper later bought them. It took a week, But Dad now has the prettiest Alfalfa in Northern MD. Nick