Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

repower

mitten

Would a 16hp brigs work in a 917 allis? The Kohler is history but I have a 16 hp brigs that I could put in. Has anyone done this? Will the brigs put out enough rpm's to mow grass? The Kohlers are a higher rpm engine I have been told.

I'm pretty sure Sam has made this swap, even used a starter/generator setup on a 900 series. No reason it won't work, but you will likely have to drill some hole and do some re-wiring and maybe adjust the throttle and choke cable lengths.

I've got a similar 917 with a dead Kohler. I'm also interested in the logistics of this swap.

Get the 7100H series parts manual from the simplicity web site. 7100s came with 12, 14, 17 and 19 hp kohlers and 16hp briggs. frame holes are predrilled. there are small differences in drive shafts and wiring. Al eden has a kit to convert from battery to magnetron ignition without changing switch and harness.

The Briggs will work. You might have to get another drive shaft though, but don't quote me on that. I just replaced a 16HP Kohler K341 in my Allis 916H last month with a brand new 16HP Kohler Magnum, which is identical to the K341 except for the ignition system and shrouding. Everything including the mounting and drive shaft fit without altering, except for the wiring harness and ignition switch.I wanted to keep the tractor as original as possible, yet modernizing it alittle.:)

I replaced the 16 Hp Kohler that came on my AC716H with a 10 Hp B/S. Minor changes, wiring, fuel lines, throttle cable.

Here`s one that I did www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26555 it works great. You will have to change the driveshaft for sure to a longer one. I used one from a 7016 and the thick rubber flex disk instead of the thin fiberglass disk. Sam probably has the parts. RayS

The Kohlers run faster they also throw connecting rods!!!I have a 16hp cast iron Briggs in my 912 for 6 trouble free years.DO IT.