Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

One more time around......

I know weve been through this before......... I have decided I will NOT paint ANY of my simplicity tractors. I appreciate those who have turned them/thiers into beautys, Kserver, Dlcent, Pat, and many, many more. Yet I know in my heart that no matter which model, which vintage, my machines will end up working for a living and WILL show signs of wear. Anyone else feel this way? DougM

I haven't seen one painted that color before:) Do you know where I can find some?? What's the paint code?

Ask a farmer how many times he has painted any of his working tractors, much less clean the windows in his cab. Same difference, bigger tractor. They are lucky to see a pressure washing here or there. Anything that is welded will more then likely not see a coat of paint. They were not meant for beauty, but for work, just another tool.

That why I do 'presevitive' paint jobs not 'restore' paint jobs Doug. I don't own anything that doesn't earn its keep, even if half the 'work' I do with them is really playtime. I just hate rust.

Bob, You just gotta know the right farmer. Most of the farmers I know and have known have always kept their tractors clean and maintained to know that it's not going to break down in that time of need. That's what the winter time is for when living on a farm. I grew up living on a farm in Iowa up until I was about 20 when I went off to college and we always cleaned, greased, maintained, and pressure washed all the machinery.;) Doug, You'd be surprised how that ol tractor runs after it has new paint. The ol girl just smiles at ya when she starts up and puffs out that first cloud of smoke from the choke.:D If ya want you can bring one tractor at a time down here and Ill take care of the painting but be careful it may end up GREEN and GOLD

Far too many times I've seen beautful paint on "junk". I go with Doug. It's far more important for me to have it running than worry about "THE PAINT".

MY TWO CENTS: I agree to an extent Doug. My machines are workers. But they are also an investment which I don't want to rust away. I paint all of mine just to keep them from deteriorating, but I must admit I do take pride in having a good looking machine. I plowed mine good this winter and I know I'll have to do touchups in the spring.

I hear ya Tom and Kris. However, my machines never sit outside, always barn stored and it seems to be a pretty good preservative. I guess if i had enough tractors and had one real GEM like a 700 I could probably let that be my show tractor.......Then again the tractors i have started out in good shape.

Doug: I have yet to paint one--that could be because I've painted other things and know what it takes. After you've painted parts of 30 ton cranes, big loaders, semis, etc..., you don't pick up the paint gun lightly--lol! (I painted heavy equipment in college, one summer, and I'm still not over it!) My 700 has not worked yet, but it was repainted (badly) before I got it, so it is not rusty. I'm w/ Marty, here, on the rust though, if it were bad enough:
quote:
That why I do 'presevitive' paint jobs not 'restore' paint
However, like you do, I keep both the 700/725 and the 2110 inside and it hasn't increased it's ltd. rusting on my watch. Consequently, I'm not even motivated to give the 2110 a "preventative" paintjob. I like the original white and black racing stripe down the hood too much to mess with it yet. But if it needed it worse, I would. I guess that's why I'm so in awe of those that do paint them up to look OEM. I love to see it. The only models I could see myself doing that to would be a 2012 or a PowerMax, as those are my favorites (not that I own any), followed by the 700/725 (of which I have one). I applaud you following your convictions in the face of pressure to "do it right". You and I can "ooh and ahh" at the committment of those that do "go all the way"--again, I admire them tremendously but don't anticipate joining their ranks any time soon.

When I was on the farm,our farm tractors got washed at least once a month and waxed twice a year.It was always more of a pleasure to go to the field and work all day in a clean tractor.Iv'e helped other farmers over the years that don't even know what a hose is.:(There paint would be faded to no end and the inside of the cabs would be knee deep in dirt.Sure there tractors worked fine but I was not as eager to jump right up in them for the day.My intentions are to repaint all my garden tractors,for show or work as time and money are available.

I'm restoring my '64 Broadmoor for a show/use kind of deal. Is this possible? I'm not doing an 'exact' restoration, except for a new coat of paint, seat, new motor. If I use it, I'll clean it off and touch it up if it gets scratched. I like a nice painted tractor, but thats my opinion.

I have repainted all of mine. Mostly as a preservative. I don't think Simplicity made tractors in basic black, with either maroon or teal. This does, however, prevent rust. I did paint the AC712 orange, but it was built with parts from about six tractors. It would have looked weird if I hadn't repainted it.

I believe that you can have your cake and eat it too... if you will, in regards to having a mint looking tractor and still "use it". I have found that if you are careful with your equipment and you keep it washed and well maintained that you can use it as hard as you like and it still looks nice. Use it dont abuse it is my motto I guess. Ryan

All my tractors look good and work hard, and are in good mechanical condition. It is a great feeling to get on a machine that you are proud to have worked on and does the work for you. Like anything else, you get out of, what you put into. Floydster

Granddaddy keeps the maintenance up on his tractors, oil, grease, etc. but in his old age, he is unable to keep his older large tractors clean and new looking, after all, one is a 1976 model, and the other a 1979, also due to events beyond our control, the older ones have dents and light surface rust, from sliding down a wet hill, or a tree falling on the hood, etc. His new one though, he tries to keep it clean as he can, it's a 2001 model, and he does the maintenance to the exact hour on it. But since he cracked his pelvis on the ice after plowing snow, he's had the dealer come out and do the maintenance stuff for him. My machines, for the most part, I try to keep clean and good looking, but when I'm not around, my clumsy uncle drove my newer mower too close to a tree and scratched the paint right good. I'm gonna have to sand it down and touch it up. My old one, it's a '69 model, was repainted a while back, before I got it. It was a different shade of that color and has started to peel off. I'm not looking forward to taking a tight tractor apart to paint, just because I'm afraid I won't put it back together in as good a shape as it is in right now.