Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 720 or Powermax Exhaust pipes

I found a guy who will build me an exhaust pipe for my 720 for $80.00. They are no longer avail from Simiplicity or AC or Onan. That is about $10.00 per inch. Does anyone have a better idea? This is rediculous. Tuffy

• 3 weeks later...
Tuffy: I had to build an exhaust pipe for mine a few years ago. I ordered a number of 1-1/2" 90 degree bends and a 10 foot length of 1-1/2" exhaust pipe from JC Whitney. I then fabricated the exhaust pipe so that it comes off of the right cylinder, crosses in front of the heat shield at the top front of the engine. At this point the pipe turns downward. The exhaust from the left cylinder comes forward, then turns down and wyes in with the one from the right cylinder. The common pipe then makes a U-bend towards the outside of the tractor, going past the engine dipstick tube near it's base, then curving upward. Attached at that point is a muffler for a Farmall Cub (Stanley Muffler, # IH-1). There are also two braces (16 guage x 1/2" flat bar) from the bottom of the muffler to the engine to reduce muffler shaking and to give it some support. The time involved in fabricating this custom exhaust system was enormous. Cost of materials was around $30 if I remember correctly. If the cost of the muffler (about $20) isn't figured into his price, that leaves $50 for labor, and I certainly had a lot more time into it than $50 worth. If you are having a complete exhaust system custom built for the tractor, I think you are getting a decent deal at $80.