Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Lessons learned by a rookie restorer.

nighteye

Just about finished with the 3410-S in the shed and thought I would share a few of the lessons I learned. First off, I want to thank about 135 of you out there who helped me out daily in the current and archived posts in this site. I read and research a lot and found tons of info in your past topics and answers. A very special thanks to UCD who was a contributor in most of those posts and also gave me a lot to think about this week. (possibly the best lesson) My list would be three pages long if not for you all. First make sure you have lots of room in your shed because when the parts start coming off its easy to loose them if its a mess. If your going to sandblast your parts, then prime and paint, make sure you do all the parts. I did not blast or prime the frame because it was in good shape. It took many coats of paint to get the colors to match. If your trying to save existing decals. Use a couple layers of duct tape over them before you sandblast BUT use one layer of masking tape first or that duct tape will pull off parts of the decal you are trying to save. Fix, or replace the safety switches and wiring while your at it. I was going to let it go but lost some sleep thinking about the lad on it this Summer. Make sure you leave room in the garage for the wifes car. Mine seems to think a little frost on the windows is a HUGE deal. My next Project is a 4041 and I am not going to make any of these mistakes again. Thanks again. Ken

Ken, Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us. The first and only rule that I have with my garage is that my wife's car must ALWAYS fit in her space. My truck has had to spend the night outside more than once!![:0]:(!:(

Looks excellent! Ithink you should do my 416:D:D I dont have the time nor the money to restore it now:(!, but I plan to in the future. Hope it looks as good as yours does.

Nice looking tractor you made yourself there. Helpful pointers too! Hope to have time and $$ to restore about 4 of my tractors here at some point. All are well maintained, and mech. sound, just need a face lift. Thanks, Rob

Night, Nice job! Thats a fine lookin tractor! And thanks for the tip about the tape, I'm going to try to save one.

Ken, Very nice job!!!! I have a question for you... did you use simplicity paint on that? If not, what and what color? It REALLY turned out good! Please let me know on the paint either post or PM me. Thanks!! Jeff

Thank you all for the nice comments, The paint I used came from Tractor Supply Company (TSC, all over in Michigan) Its Allis Chalmers Orange. The White is just Valspars Gloss Almond. Had it out today "driving slow on the driveway" (Rainman) Heated up all the fluids to start the flush operation. Think I will take a couple more pictures and put some before and after in the Show&Tell forum tommarrow. Thanks again, Ken