Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New Muffler

maxtorman1234

Just got a muffler for my 410. Sounds pretty neat, just is loud though. Cost 20$. I like how it looks like the big tractors now:) Since its burning oil, its much more noticable with this muffler. Ran it for about 2 hours test driving it today as I just got the new drive belt:D. Started with full oil, have half left now[:0] I never thought it would burn it so quick. Think it might just be the rings, but it has a pretty bad knock too. Just gotta set the timing right, and im done. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/maxtorman1234/dscf0017.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/maxtorman1234/dscf0019.jpg[/img]

Looks nice however you have a lot wheight bearing down on the block and it is possible that the exhaust corner of the block will tear out unless you support the muffler to the sheet metal using rubber isolators.

Maxtorman, I just put a new stack on mine. I have the same problem, with the new stack this thing realy smokes. The old muffler was so rotted that the exhuast leaked all around it and the smoke was not as noticable.

Most of the time these engines need to bored out for oversize piston & rings when they burn that much oil.;) As the muffler shakes it will develop cracks at the welds.;) Karl

The muffler weighs almost nothing, so I cant really see weight being a problem, if the block was aluminum I could see it might damage it. Guess i'll find out. Looking for a new engine anyways, ten is small for what im gonna be using the tractor for. Also, if i hit a branch, the muffler and elbow will turn on the threads, not badly damaging anything:D. Its just tight enough to hold it, but you can move it by hand. I can always unscrew it to remove or tighten it too:)

5 pounds isn't heavy either. Hold it out on the end of a five foot stick while you're mowing the lawn, stopping, going, bumping along. How do you think your arm will feel after a few hours of this? And your arm is flexible, unlike the cast iron threads. Just my thoughts. Rob

I weighed it, its 3lbs:D I cant see where I would put anything to support it though. Cant attach it to the hood. Ill have to go out later and think of somethin

How about a bracket coming off the head bolts? Make the bracket out of thin material and use at least 2 headbolts

I say put a 'T' where you have the elbow, flatten one end of about a 2 or 3 inch nipple, drill a hole in it, then bolt a sturdy strap iron to it and run it down to the frame. Spray it all with some BBQ black and won't find yourself in dier need of an engine before you find one for a good deal.

Maxtor to put things in perspective, try this. With a barn broom, hold it with the broom head as close to your hand as possible and rotate it in any direction you can. Now extend the broom so all that you can grip is the end of the broom stick and with your wrist motion only try and lift the broom head. Unless your Superman, you will find this difficult to impossible. This is what your engine is looking at.

Gram, I have a Model 14 Briggs that we hung a big muffler and pipe on for a gocart. To make a long story short after we broke the corner out of the blockB):( we were able to save it with some very skillfull welding....;)

quote:
Originally posted by maxtorman1234
Also, if i hit a branch, the muffler and elbow will turn on the threads, not badly damaging anything:D. Its just tight enough to hold it, but you can move it by hand. I can always unscrew it to remove or tighten it too:)
One more thing to think about... Heat! the hoter the metal is the looser the pipe will be. I bet if you stop short, you'll find the muffler will hit the ground in front of you. I just got one today, It put it on but wont use the tractor till I make a brace. For maybe $3 in parts and a half an hour I'm not going to chance it. Just thought I throw that in Elon

Maxtorman: When UCD said this:
quote:
Don't say that you were not warned. Some people have to learn the hard way.
...one of the scenarios he may have contemplated is you driving your tractor to the left or right. Your exhaust port threads run in two directions only, presumably front to rear. Therefore, your point, below, is only relevant if you're driving straight ahead:
quote:
Also, if i hit a branch, the muffler and elbow will turn on the threads, not badly damaging anything.
What happens if you're backing up, with the wheels turned, like when you mow around the base of that tree in your yard? I'll tell you: the tree can hook the stack and push it at right angles to the tractor, i.e., right off to the side, as you back up with the wheels turned. Result: broken block. Why is this likely to happen? Please see UCD's comment, above. If you never mow around trees, please see BLT's broom experiment, above. It is equally applicable and, unfortunately, will be proven in time....

Here is another thought. A muffler like that looks rediculous. Stick to the stock looking muffler and be done with it.

I, myself Like it, thats why I now have 2:) I will not be mowing with either of these machines. They will be workers, and will used for hauling wood.

I hope so too, I cant afford a proper muffler for them, and the 3 buck ones just dont work:(!. I think they sound neat and look neat, best of all theyre cheap:D

THe issue about the muffler hitting something and causing a break is very valid. With all the heat + moisture your slip joint will probably freeze up with the resulting complications. The fact that it "souds neat" is a negative to your ears, unless you wear plugs or muffs, and to your neighbors, who might not think is sounds neat. Just my humble opinion. Mike

[img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/maxtorman1234/710.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/maxtorman1234/7102.jpg[/img]