Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

MPH

Landlord Steering ?????

MPH
Only amounted to about half an inch but hadda go plow the driveway anyhow:). Then I drug my walking trail where I found them sno-hogs had too much traction, they jerked the sterring wheel all over the place in the rougher terain. The sterring is tighter on it then my other 2 like it, except for the arm on the sterring gear. Upon investigation I found a rather beat-up half moon key so I got out my bag of keys only to find the slot in the shaft one size bigger the the grove in the arm. The new key fit in the shaft slot full depth, square and nice and tight but of course, the arm won't fit. I'm clueless to the plan here, anybody else ever seen this??? thanks.

BigSix
Marty: I've read somewhere (here?) about keys that have two different sized halves on the same key. Not sure if that's done only as a remedial measure, when one side needs to be machined larger to repair a damaged keyway, or whether it was stock. I believe I've seen square keys such as I describe advertised on the web. Now that I think about it, Bill at Sandy Lake Equip. may have discussed this with me. If not, they might have an idea...you could email them, as a starting point. If they sell them, that would save you having a new keyway cut. Let us know what you find? Peter

comet66
That reminds me of when I first learned to drive big trucks in the early 60's. One of the first things you learned (usually the hard way) was to never rap your thumbs around that big stearing wheel. If the front tires caught something on the side and twisted that wheel it would tear at your thumbs something awful. But it only happened once.

KenK
I did what Maynard has said but it was for a key on a crankshaft on a car.It was either a .20 key or a $300 crankshaft,well I went the cheap route and it ran another 100,000 miles before I got rid of it.