Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

help with oil seals on powermax tiller

schaefer72

hi - the oil seals on my powermax tiller bevel bear box ( part 10 - part number # 173592 ) are leaking and are apparently according to sandy lake - no longer available - they seal the shafts coming out of the gear box and keep oil from leaking out all over - mine have simply seen too many years of tilling - anyone know of a source for original or replacement seals that would work - anyone else had to deal with same problem - i thought of just packing the gear box with grease or something that wont leak out as easily as oils - the top area around my gear box looks like the Exxon Valdez threw up on it !!! - thanks alot - see ya [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2//attach/schaefer72/tiller.JPG'[/img]

I dont have a source, but seals are pretty standard. With the shaft diameter and housing diameter a good farm supply or maybe even an auto supply should be able to come up with something I would think.

Ditto what Dan said. You can also check in the yellow pages under "industrial supplies and services". Used that to find a store in Denver called Kaman Industrial Technologies that has replaced some seals for me. They just measured the old seal and supplied a new seal that was the same size. /r David

I think you should forgo the problem and just junk the tiller, better yet so you won't loose any sleep over it I'll vol. to come get it from you and haul it off. Just let me know how I can help. Dave.lol

I'm sure the seals were not made expressively for a/c.If you go to the auto parts store whether they carry BCA or CR brand of seals and bearings in the master catalogue in the the back of the book are all seals and bearings by their demensions.It may cost you a bottle of scotch or something for the counterman to take his time and search but I guarantee they are there.The bearings for MOST mower decks are GM and Ford alternator bearings.The number is 203FF.

Jason, I replaced the seals on my tiller last season. I removed the seals and went to Motion Industries and they matched the ID and the OD for me. I will look around to see if I kept the part number. The tiller had been sitting for a while before I got it and when I pulled the cover off the interior was full of water. I don't know if it was from condensation or if the water seeped past the top plug. To minimize this I installed a breather, replacing the top plug. Later, Chad

hi guys - thanks for the replys - i will take the info and roll with it and see what comes up - any addition numbers or help is appreciated - thanks

hi - thanks alot for the help - StanD was correct - jacks still has them and they are part # 173592 SEAL OIL 1000ID $5.76 each - i went ahead and ordered several and we will see if they fit - im not sure if sandy lake was correct or not about them being no longer available - but i am sure glad jacks had some - made my search alot easier - thanks alot guys - without your help i would have had to put alot more effort into the seach process - see ya

guese this means you don't need me to come and pick it up so you don't have to mess with it,right?

D-17_Dave - thanks for the offer but i will pass - i had to search for the tiller for quite awhile and actually got it off this site from another club member - had to travel 500 miles to get it - total price $100 plus gas - he had posted it in the classifieds and i was the first person to e-mail him - he ended up with alot of people wanting it but went with me because i was the first !!! - lucky me - see ya

Though you have your problem solved, which is great, for future such cases, if you take the old seal into a bearing shop such as Pression bearing, they can match you up from the numbers, provided the person working there has a spark.

I'm glad you found them.I'm curious if there are numbers on them.This is your interchange basis.I forgot to say before that every seals I have ever seen had a number on it no matter how small the embossing.