Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

JimC_Vt

Bolens TDA12-D Elec.Ignition

JimC_Vt
Hi Guys, If your a Bolens or Wisconsin electrical expert this post is for you .... I have rebuilt a 12 hp wis.w/ electronic ignition .....I had spark before the rebulid ,but I have now lost it .....Art sent me a wiring diagram which shows the "primary lead " from the electronic ignition going to the + side of the automotive coil ,and then the - side of the coil going to the ignition swith,and is then grounded thru the switch to ground.......(this circuit is seperate from the start and charge circuit ....and I don't believe 12 volts is fed to the coil by the battery ,that would be for a points and condenser ign.) I have checked all the wiring and I'm good to go .....I assume that this ignition is killed when it it grounded out so it is "an open loop circuit" ....so if the secondary coil is grounded "no more spark " ! The secondary coil has around 17 to 20 ohms ....is this correct...??? The ignition module puts out a little voltage ,but not a lot ,what should the voltage be ???? There is resistance from the primary wires to the three coil legs ,so there is no open . To say the least I'm stumped,it looks like I need a new elec.ign module ....If you have one for sale /or for me to test my tractor with I would appreciate it (a 10 hp one may be the same ) .... Any other ideas are welcome ......otherwise I have a shiny new BOAT ANCHOR !:(:(!:( Thanks Exhasperated Jim !

arjr111
Hi Jim, I have a 1256 parts machine. Where is the elec.ign module you need located? I don't see it on my wiring diagram. What does it look like? I can check to see if I have one. I know it is obvious, but did you check all the connectors on the ignition? Also, my diagram shows interlock switches maybe one of them is messed up?? BTW, my 1256 was wired wrong when I got it, and I had to go through it wire by wire...works fine now!

JimC_Vt
Hi Art and Guys , I have checked this unit wire by wire,I can pretty much tell you where each wire goes...... The Electronic ign,is under the flywheel ,one RED wire coming from under the flywheel,and it looks kinda like a letter C with the armature legs barely sticking out on the bottom L.H. Side ... Senasac was a Bolens dealer,this this unit was made long before he took owner ship of the business ,,,,FYI he is in a new buliding at exit 18 in Georgia Vt and the New business name is EXIT 18 Lawn in Garden ,or something like that....he is a Simplicity dealer now and he must have Snapper also ! thanks guys, Jim P.S. On too new project ,FILLING HOT TUB NOW !

D-17_Dave
Jim, I'm no expert on wis. engines but I have a thought. All automotive coils I am familiar with use 12 volts+ to switched to the + side of the coil. The - side of the coil is the secondary to trigger or fire the coil. It would appear that you ned to rerout the 12+ from the switch to the + side of the coil and place the electronic ign. modual to the - side of the coil and try it. I think your modual is simply replaceing the points on this system, right? I am not formiliar with this type of electronic ign. so I am unclear if the modual needs a seperat 12+ supply, but I wouldn't think so. Hope this helps, Dave.

JimC_Vt
Dave ,The wiring diagram I have shows the elec.ign. going to the + side of the coil and then the - side of the coil going to the ign switch ..... Then I assume it is grounded out to a white wire via the switch to kill the spark when the key is in the off postion .... Thanks Jim My thinking is the charge and trigger coil are in the elec ign coil and provide voltage to the secondary coil and timing ... If I wire it as the wiring diagram shows now with the new key switch I bought(new key switch may be the incorrect one).....I would supply 12+ to the negative side of the coil with the posative side of the coil going to the electronic ignition unit .....and I would have to remove the white wire because it will short to ground....

D-17_Dave
Hope it's just the switch. Let us know. I've never heard of this type of ign. but then again, there's alot of things I don't know. Usually got an opion on everything, but still I don't know.LOL

arjr111
Jim, when I picked up my parts tractor the guy told me the engine runs, but it has an electrical problem. So I would be a little leary of pulling the flywheel and sending you a part that may not work anyway. Also see link--is this the same part you are referring to? [url]http://www.ytmag.com//gardent/messages/33628.html[/url] Does anybody know if there a way to test this ign. module to see if it works?

JimC_Vt
I sent a note to "Bob Fenn" who is a Bolens Restoration man ,and he stated "that the coils are now 30 years old and wearing out,12 volts applied to them kills them instantly,and he's gonna check if he has another for sale " the switch I got locally "looks correct" but is incorrect " as I thought ,but the switch did not kill the ignition module ,It must have just died of old age :o( The saga continues .... Thanks Jim P.S. Hot tub does not heat water (I knew this when I got it )(the tub was FREE)......I luv electricity ,If it was up to me I'd build a fire under the tub!

arjr111
Hey Jim, I uncovered my parts engine and discovered it has the Solid State Ign. attached to shroud. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/arjr111/FAMILY%20048.JPG[/img]

JimC_Vt
Well Art ,That is very interesting....mine does not have that module on the rewind housing ,everything appears to be under the flywheel ......is it possible some electronic guru was able to wire the electronic ign.to run off of 12 volts ???? Any chance of seeing what lies under that flywheel ???? when you have the time ???? Thanks Jim I think I have found bad temp sensor on hot tub,I tricked computer into thinking the freeze hi limit sensor is the actual temp sensor....it is now reading the correct temp of the water ....hopefully water will get hotter for my old bones ....

arjr111
Jim, Bolens used different engine iterations in it series. 1254-01 and 1256-01 used 335800. 1254-02,04 and 1256-02 used 335600. 1254-04,05 used 357448. 1256-03,04,06,07 used 335600. I believe my running engine to be 335800. I think my parts engine is 335600. Because the parts engine has the ign. module on the shroud and the running don't. I believe your engine is either a 335800 or 357448. Check links. Interestingly, my wiring diagram doesn't differentiate between the engine series. So either my repair manual is an early one that did not include the different engine series--or the elect. differences are minor, and may be only in where like parts may be located. Such as the ign. module on the shroud or under the flywheel??? [url]http://f2.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QGBMQLE-qIhMM0DRolHK1d881dcImckNSFZ0lOftxpXWbRRF4SqqWN2-gRUVBWL_X8Y4lB2w1ofYWAf2onTqXTRqqxDf/David_A_Sohn/BOLENSP2.JPG[/url] [url]http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QGBMQKOu4NFMM0DRzwOZkNxZmBE4SrzEwQ0ZUCSW3r04YEWYDrfeUWv2kqxFK0Rcp5oFVJZAwRCLKcVFTSBp9j28U9aH/David_A_Sohn/BOLENSP3.JPG[/url] [url]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BolensTractorsClub/files/[/url] Pardon the long links!