Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Weak Link ?

IronPony

I was just reading a thread titled "Repower" and saw mention of the rubber or fiberglass "flex disk". When I repowered my AC712S from a 12hp to a 16hp Kohler I took a good look at the flex disk and wondered at the time if this was a potential weak link in the power train. I have not seen any posts in the last year complaining of a bad or failed flex disk. Does anyone have any history on this from a failure point of view? Dan I just did a fast search of the archives and found some postings but not much about failure rates.

Dan the flex disc is kind of like the cheap mans universal joint. If the are any close mis-givings on installation, these discs should be your savior. And the lack of any threads that I can remember should substantiate the fact that they are pretty durable. There have been threads of concernced members asking of which is the best way to line things before you bolt things down to make sure you haven't stressed the discs to their limit.

When I got my 416, one was cracked, and the bolt went through the disk almost beside the bolt into the engine. Sure caused alot of vibration.

They are the only thing that you can use as replacements for these tractors (the only thing that I know of)I tried to get replacements for my 1963 gardenmark and all that was available was the fiber discs. I have not had a problem with them at all. JH

I try to bolt everything up with the setscrew on the bvb loose then adjust and tighten it last. This allows the disc's to remain stress free. If you do not have enough of the drive adapter on the input shaft, around centering the set screw over the center of the key on the bvb input shaft, you need to add more shimes at the engine. Does anyone else have an easier way to do this?

I have never personally had any ever fail. But I have bought parts tractors where they where cracked and damaged pretty severly. The only thing that would break them that I can think of is hitting something with the mower deck or snowblower that would stop the engine instantly.

That's the way I do mine Dave, so far as leaving the BGB loose till all else is tighten in place. So far, with the replacement kits I've gotten from SLI there has never been an issue with length.

The only thing I have used to cut grass with, is our 917, and if you hit anything, the belts will just slip.

The washers used on the flex disc bolts and nuts are special. If they are installed backwards or are replaced with regular washers, that could cause premature flex disc failure.

Over 300lbs of wheel weight Vbar ice chains and good belts adjusted not to slip and a sudden stop at 7mph and wide open do this a couple times something has to give.

Im kinda partial to these types of joints...Mercedes-Benz used a heavy duty version of this (Guibo joint)to connect the drive shaft to the transmission and then to the rear-end. Although the MB version was a bit beefier it worked well in that application.

Are there really two different kinds of flex disks,Rubber and Fiberglass? If so, which is considered the best and are they both still available today? Are they interchangeable? Is there a significant cost difference? Dan

I had the bolt come out of the PTO shaft on my 720 and bent the shaft, thought I was not going to be able to get the fiber disc and thought about aircraft alum, but my dealer came through. BOY was that a scary sound!!!

Dan, as far as I know the rubber ones are no longer available. Believe they were OEM on the 'B' series and all later tractors had the fiber disc. Like any rubber on metal, the old ones peel apart with use/age. IMO not woth looking for if you plan to work the tractor. If you want a totally OEM show machine guess that be different.

Graham The rubber disc joints did not come on the 900 series only the fiber discs. The change came between the early B-10 (prior to s/n 50001)and late B-10 (After s/n 50001 and the drive shafts were the same for both Part# 2026306. The 1963/64 landlord 9hp MFG#'s 308, 314 had the rubber disc drive shaft part# 157016 The 1965 landlord 10hp 101 MFG#'s 350, 351 had the fiber disc with drive shaft part# 157016. All of the tractors since these tractors have had the fiber disks.

Theres 1 rubber one on our 917. Where the engine attaches to the driveshaft. I think thats what were talking about,

The early models 7100, 900 series used the fiber disc on both ends of drive shaft with a part# of 1666118. The later model 7100, 900 series used a thick rubber block disc on the engine side with a drive shaft part# of 1669044. The rubber discs used in the early landlords and B's is completely different than the rubber disk used on the engine side in the later model 7100, 900 series tractors. The 7100 series Parts manual (TP 400-0843-04-SV-S) lists the before and after serial numbers by MFG# for the effected tractors. So if you do not know or are not sure please don't confuse someone else.

On my wonderboy 700's I have replaced 3 of the rubber ones with disks that I made out of 1/2 rubber belts.They hold up well butI am after the old style look.It makes a mess out of the paint job on the inside of the frame.Bob

If you aren't afraid of a little figuring and a little creative work, maybe give lovejoy fittings a try. I have them on my tractor(previous owner fitted it) and they seem to work great! Just my 2cents. Jeff

Guess I have no idea what a "Lovejoy fitting" is. Would a picture show me anything? If yes, how about a pic?? Dan