Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hmmm....now how smart was this?

comet66

About 12 years or so ago I did what I consider the kindest thing an old arthretic gearhead can do for his tired old bones. I bought a hoist.;) I use it for everything, from working on trailers...even to working on my motorcycle.:D

Get em up in the air.....

Eye level that's my moto.....

Now...I spent all of yesterday afternoon, laying on a piece of cardbord, on the cement floor, under the Sunstar, in what I can only describe as contorted positions, mounting the Loader rack.:o) This morning my back is so stiff I can hardly move.....:( Now just how smart is that?? Seems like I'm going backwards.:p I need to figure out how to get these things up on the hoist, and still be able to reach what ever it is I need to work on.

Ok John, Now That's what every guy needs including me to work on the ol truck. But I gotta ask since I can't make it out for sure, what's that hanging over the garage door?;)

Very nice shop there John, wish I had one of those lifts. BTW I like the wall paper above the door too.....;):D:D:D:D

Woohooo, John you have the decorator's touch where wallpaper is concerned!;) I too envision a lift in the garage but for right now it's on the bottom of the list right after heat!!!8)[:0]

I too like the wall paper, but what impresses me the most in your shop is we can see the floor.I lost mine sometime ago.

Man....You guys sure don't miss much! Built this building in 86 and there is a calender from each year since.^ Right now you can't find the floor or the bench. I get a little sloppy while in the middle of a project. Thanks

Since I like your hoist better then your wall paper John, back to the hunt for ideas on how to get tractors up in the air. Think if you removed the lift pads and built 4 craddles for the tires to drop into you'd have a secured tractor looking you in the eye.

John, Marty is right about the wheel cradles. I've seen that method used safely before, and they adjust easily to fit any tractor,ATV, go-cart,etc. Larry

You know that's not a bad idea at all. I had thought of maybe two channels cross wise, one for the front tires and one for the rear to set in. But if I were to use the same channels but in four smaller pieces, one for each wheel, replacing the pads, it would preserve the best feature of this kind of hoist. The fact that everything is in the clear and can be easily worked on. It's so obvious, why didn't I think of that? Gonna have to check out the scrap steel pile. Thanks

Plus you don't have to drive over the channel with the front tires, just park, swing arms into place, then drive on.

He could also lift the tractor with four cables or chains, one attached to each arm. The other ends could be attached to the mower mounts on the front axle and the hitch on the rear. This way the wheels can also be removed and the diff if necessary.

Saw an idea at www.hidealift.com that you might be able to adapt. You could build U-shaped brackets that attached to each of your lift arms. The brackets could come at each tire from the side ... Should make it each to position for your tractor. /r David

Could also do a search for wheel lift products ... I think this is what it is called. Maybe some adapter is already being sold what will connect to your lift. I would think that something used that far out on a lift arm would need to be checked and doublechecked by someone who knows what they were doing to ensure it was safe to get under. /r David

Your hide a lift pictures is sorta the idea Marty gave me. He made me think about the way wreckers do it today, lifting by the tires because of the front wheel drive. Back when I was running, wrecker we had to crawl under each vehicle to hook up J-hooks. You could almost run wrecker in a suit today. As soon as I get caught up on some other projects around here (yeah right)I'm going to figure something out. Been some helpful suggestions on here though. Thanks

[img]http://www.mohawklifts.com/consumer/images/tl7/turf_lift_b.jpg[/img] [url]http://www.mohawklifts.com/consumer/turf.php[/url] [img]http://www.mohawklifts.com/consumer/images/tire/tea2.gif[/img][img]http://www.mohawklifts.com/consumer/images/tire/tea4.gif[/img] [url]http://www.mohawklifts.com/consumer/tire.php[/url]

Dagonit Maynard you pull more rabbits out of your hat than anybody I've ever known before. That's it exactly. Thanks