Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Stuck Plunger

bigcountry

I changed the points on my 5 hp Briggs powered Dynamark tiller last weekend, and I noticed the plunger is stuck. Is there a way I can free it up so it will fire again? The kit I put in, did not have a new plunger with it. Can I order a new plunger separate?

I found points and plunger for my 1967 12HP Briggs at Jack's Small Engines. You'll need the motor model and S/N/. I figure if they had the plunger for mine they should have yours. The plunger was a seperate part #. Bob

Thanks, I'll see if I can't get one this week. I want to get that thing going so I can use it some and figure out whether or not I want to sell it.

Better double check your engine model. If you have a newer engine, Pat might have given you the wrong P/N.

The wrong part number? ME? C'mon Bob. How could I make a mistake? It's not possible. Just ask my wife.:D Seriously, when speaking of Dynamark tillers with point type ignition and a 5 horse engine, I don't believe there was another type of plunger. Can't hurt to check just to be sure though. In any event, if your engine model number begins with 13 (13XXXX), that should be the correct part number (unless it's been superceded). Pat

quote:
Originally posted by PatRarick
The wrong part number? ME? C'mon Bob. How could I make a mistake? It's not possible. Just ask my wife.:D Seriously, when speaking of Dynamark tillers with point type ignition and a 5 horse engine, I don't believe there was another type of plunger. Can't hurt to check just to be sure though. In any event, if your engine model number begins with 13 (13XXXX), that should be the correct part number (unless it's been superceded). Pat
Pat you are correct. I had to run out and check my parts bin.PLUNGER-BRKR - 65704S MSRP US$1.65 Bob T Sorry

You can buy the plunger seperate at any local Briggs and Stratton Service Center. The plunger should always be replaced whenever the points and condenser. When the plungers wear out, oil tends to leak into where the breaker box, thus causing the new points and condenser you just replaced to go bad. Good Luck!

quote:
Originally posted by BLT
Pat you are correct. I had to run out and check my parts bin.PLUNGER-BRKR - 65704S MSRP US$1.65 Bob T Sorry
Whew! Thanks, Bob. I about went nuts looking to see if there was another five horse briggs that used a different plunger. I wasn't aware of any, but you never know. Pat

Do you have one Bob? If so, I might be interested in getting one from you. I feel pretty comfortable sending $1.65 through the mail.

I bought a plunger today since I was in the area of the closest engine shop, probably won't get a chance to change it til the weekend.