Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

23D

comet66

Well I tried the search feature With every key word I could think of, and found several threads, but none that adress my question. Do I have any options other than a rebuild for my froze up 23D? I know the engine is obsolete and am wondering if there is a bolt in replacement that would look original. I'm new at these things and would apreciate being pointed in the right direction. Thanks

Yes, I believe that you can use a 10hp - 16hp engine should bolt right in and look very close to your 23D (your engine is a 9hp). I am pretty sure that things should bolt up but I could be mistaken, perhaps someone can definitavly answer this. Ryan

I would think that if the fly wheel come off and could be put on a newer engine it would work fine, but I'n no expert! Elon

The flywheels and where the coil mounts are different on the 23D than they are on the rest of the cast iron single cylinders.

So would it be correct to state that a 10hp will bolt in, in place of the 23D? I believe that was the original question. Ryan

The base 243431-0123????????? engine can be ordered 10HP, I did not want to know the price, they should be almost the same. I know this is a dumb question but what is a 23D? :D

To answer the question about what a 23D is. From what I have read, it is a 9hp engine before the 243431 10hp engine. I think it was used in the pre 1965 tractors. Now UCD is an expert and I know he knows the answer, perhaps he can offer some insight. Ryan

My knowledge probabally dosn't even stand up to Maynard's knowledge of these old machines. I learn somthing new every day I crank it up. No I am not an expert from my standpoint. :D

quote:
Originally posted by rjgoth
To answer the question about what a 23D is. From what I have read, it is a 9hp engine before the 243431 10hp engine. I think it was used in the pre 1965 tractors. Now UCD is an expert and I know he knows the answer, perhaps he can offer some insight. Ryan
Model 23D went out of production in August of '65 and in its place came the 2334XX 9HP, 2434XX 10HP and 3004XX 12HP that finally grew into the 3264XX 16HP in 1972. Production was moved to China sometime ago and a few years ago was no longer listed in the Briggs lineup. Emissions played a heavy role in its demise. It is pretty hard if not impossible today to get an L-head engine to pass the emission test.

I have a 64 Landlord with a 23D 9hp that froze up. Last year I had it rebuilt for $250.00. When the guy pulled the engine, I took the tractor back home and restored the rest of it. I told the guy to take his time so it would give me time to do my thing (pics to come soon). I plowed my 200' long driveway with it this winter and it runs great:D. So, my point is that if the rest of this tractor is in decent shape, don't let it go to waste, these tractors are great little machines.

Ok if the fly wheels wont mount up how do you bolt the stater pulley and drive shaft up? As you can see I'm no expert! Elon

So if I come up with a 10, 12, or 16, the base is the same and will bolt right up. Will the shaft be the same on both sides? I have no intention of dispersing this tractor it will be repaired or restored as time and parts avialibility allow. I apreciate the help but am still uncertain.

23D

23D

16 Hp

16 Hp Elon, Here`s some pictures of the 23D flywheel and a flywheel on a 16 hp. The crankshafts are probably the same diameter. The driveshafts would hook up the same and the pulley is in the same location. The mounting bracket where the coil goes are entirely different and the flywheels are different diameters on the two engines. Hopefully the pictures can show the differences better than I can exsplain them. RayS

I have a 68 landlord with 10hp(243431) engine. How big of an engine can I get that would fit transmission and have a shaft for the front for snowblower? I would like at least 12HP.

The single cylinder cast iron briggs 10hp, 12hp, 14hp and 16hp will all fit into you 68 landlord.

Based on the generator score I made last winter, being made in 1951 for the Army, I'm thinking that military surplus places may be good huntting grounds for 23D's.

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
Based on the generator score I made last winter, being made in 1951 for the Army, I'm thinking that military surplus places may be good huntting grounds for 23D's.
I missed a 4 cylinder diesel generator mounted on a heavy duty trailer. It was a WW2 unit and sold for $300. I could kick myself.

Hi, In the fall I pulled my 12 HP out of my 2012 to do a rebuild and put a 23D that came out of an early B-10 in it, there was a space issue with the drive shaft. I had to remove the spacers from the B-10 and replace the ones in the Landlord with them because after the 23D was installed there was a larger gap between the drive shaft and mounting to the engine. My 23D will be for sale soon. The 12 HP is about done. John

Re- build that 23d its all the power you will need.! You would be suprised what a fresh one in an old 101 can do! John