Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Karl_Brandt

Starter generator guestion

Karl_Brandt
Took off the starter generator on my Allis Chalmers Big Ten,to see why it does not work. And found the brushes were not there,just the wires that come from the brushes.On the armature were the brushes ride has come apart. Can the armature be fixed where the brushes ride or keep this starter generator for parts. Karl

Dutch
Karl, Check the inside of the S/G housing for a “splatter ring” of solder. If there is a “splatter ring,” more than likely the armature is junk. If there isn’t a “splatter ring,” test the armature on a “growler.” If the armature and fields test okay, have the armature turned down on a lathe and undercut the mica. Then new brushes and bearings should put the S/G back in business. Any auto electric shop should be able to do the testing for a few bucks. If you want to DIY, growlers, hand/power armature lathes, and mica undercutters can usually be found on eBay for cheap.

Karl_Brandt
Here are some pictures of the starter generator. I looked inside of the S/G housing for a “splatter ring” of solder and did not see any. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/karl_brandt/Hpim0134.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/karl_brandt/Hpim0137.jpg[/img] Karl

Agricola
If the sectors are not loose on the armature you might be able to get the commutator turned down. They also make a polishing stone. We used ones that were on a plastic "spoon". It polished the commutator but if it is not round, it will cause bounce and arcing. That will lead to premature failure. Hence the turning down idea. A good generator shop should be able to give you ideas on what you need to do.