Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

When do you start mowing?

rjgoth

I have been "thinking spring" lately, Iam looking forward to cutting the grass, planting the garden, and planting flowers. Im curious at about what time of year do other members from around the country start to cut their grass. I am from just west of Madison Wisconsin and I start cutting grass around the middle of April. When do you get to start cutting your grass? Ryan :) THINK SPRING

Whenever it's tall enough to mow and I'm just west of Madison also. But I'm not even close to thinking about Spring yet. I'm still adjusting the snowblower to run good with the tractor. But hey, I be ready for next year

About the middle of March is normally when I start, the grass gets a little wild if I wait much longer.

Ryan not to be a smarta**, but I start mowing when Eva starts ragging me about the yard looking shaggy. That's normally around early/mid April here in Kentucky. Larry

Here in tennesse I usually mow once right before hard frost in november. Then start back early April. I have Rebal Fescue

About a week after the damn stuff turns green. It jumps out of the ground, probable have to mow twice a week until july with all this moisture. I'm just grateful I have a 7119H with a 48" deck, otherwise it gets tricky with 5-6 acres. The twin can handle heavy stuff and this year I have the PTO vacuum system.

I need to mow now it was 70 degrees for two days in a row now. and i was able to get some weeds pulled and plant some flowers at the church. we have a small mock green house we just put up. and were going to start some Marygolds.

Late April early May here. I'm usually doing the mowing and tilling about the same time. It will be easier this year with more than one tractor.

quote:
Originally posted by comet66
Late April early May here. I'm usually doing the mowing and tilling about the same time. It will be easier this year with more than one tractor.
Same here, one for mowing and one for roto tilling. Grass cutting not a requirement to get to work like snow removal and I let it all get high enough for a cut across the whole yard when ever that is.

Just got a good dusting here in CT. Im thinking I get to mow around June!!! LOL Most likely late April or early May. Elon

Late April early May... "You know you a redneck if you find your old frigorator when cutting the lawn"

Here in Central Mn. I don't change the equipment over until late April, early May. Will start mowing around the end of May, have to fertilize and dethatch this year. Floyd

It's nearly the same time every year here in mid-Michigan, the last week in April. Which reminds me, I'd better get busy and recondition the deck like I promised myself.

We usually get a decent snow storm here in upstate Ny sometime in March. After that, it starts to rain. Til about june. If you don't go out in the rain between late April and june and mow, you'd better have a healthy running tractor, and take the support bar off the bottom of the shute so she can really spit it out. I try to start as soon as it greens and grows. Rob

I guess around the end of April, usually by that time it starts to grow like a jungle! so during the fast growing time I use the Kubota with the 5ft. Douglas finish mower on the back, its just faster this way.NOT AS GOOD A CUT, just faster. John

In SE N.C. the mowing season starts in early april through late october. My 0.02$ worth. ?:D

Started this last weekend, cut the old dead last falls grass. In S.E. NC I always cut the dead grass real low, almost scalp it on purpose. (It was a little early but I just put my newly painted Cub 124 back together and couldn't resist). Also got the 4211H out for a little ride and washed her off. Mike

I don't .... about mid April I get up early on Saturday, roust my boys, and tell them to get their backsides outside and do it ....

Ryan, First cut was last weekend. And it smelled sweet!..LOL Have had my taters in the ground for three weeks now and finished tilling the rest of the garden last weekend. I'll plant all 'maters and peppers this weekend. Peas and beans the next. We hit 80 degrees yesterday, but going to be raining by Saturday. It's definately spring here in Texas..........