Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Ford 9N, well it's a tractor

Mike

Any of you fine fellows own a 9N. I'm looking at one and it would be helpful to get some pointers. 9N , rebuilt motor, new tires all the way around, snow bucket, back blade , garden plow and extras. 3500.00 Price is a touch high, but the right machine might be worth it. A sweet 8N goes for about 2500.00 here. Although a friend of mine bought one last year for 100.00, it was stuck in 3rd gear. I told him I hoped he went to church after that. Thanks to all fellow members!

Mike, The 9N is an older tractor than an 8N. The 9N was developed in 1939 and named for the last digit of the year. The 2N was next in 1942 although few were built during WW2. The 8N series started in 1948. In my opinion the 9N is a little awkward to operate due to the left brake being beside the clutch on the left side. If you need to hold the left brake and stop or start at the same time it keeps your left leg busy. I don't own any old Fords. Just passing along what I hear at the local club. Jim

9N will be a lot harder to get parts for too I think. No draft control, no power steering. I've used lawn mowers with more power. My 2 cents wourth. I know that probably don't mean much but I never thought they were much of a machine. Go with a T-20 Fergeson or something along that line if size is what your looking for. I think Ford skimped on a lot while the Fergesons tried to perfect it.dave.

Mike, That doesn't sound like too bad of a deal, 8 and 9Ns are getting harder to find all of the time... IMO if I were in the market for a tractor of that size I would lean towards the 8N for the reasons that Jim and Dave stated above and I would also not rule out looking at the next series newer Fords, The Jubilies and the 600 series.

I have had several 8's and 9's and agree with most of the above. The only reason I bought the 2nd and 3rd 9's was because they were cheap and I could turn a profit on them. I never did figure out how to work the brake and clutch at the same time. 8's are real popular around here with people mowing a lot and who don't mind clearing snow backwards. They stay in the 2500 to 3500 dollar range. As Mike says don't overlook the Jubilies and 600's. They are all fun.

Problem with 2N, 8N,9N,is that if you step on clutch you do not have hydraulic power. With the Jubilee,600,800 and the N series you do not have PTO power when you step on clutch. I'm a big fan of the Jubilee. However the Oliver 55,The Fergunsen 35,the Molines have all these features at a competive price compared to the Fords.

Does the 9N have a high/low range transmission. That can be very helpful and valuable if you plan to trade up at a later date. The 9N is a great machine if all you had before was a smaller garden tractor. Parts are pretty easy to find. I own a 2N and haven't found a part yet that isn't sold. You can find many implements and attachments that can make life easy. You just need to find the right people. The biggest drawback is the lack of live hydraulics (which actually can be added by buying a kit from a fella in Alabama who designed a system that doesn't require you to alter your tractor, I think he wanted $400 for the kit). I rarely run out of power with mine unless I'm using the two bottom plow in my clay soil on a wet day. I would say $3500 would be on the upper limit, but if the engine has recently been rebuilt and the hydraulics are tight it might be worth it. Having $1000 in new tires would be a nice buying/selling point. Good luck.

At numerous shows i did not see to many 8n, 9n, or 2n's. If it is old their is less and less of them every day. ?:D

quote:
Originally posted by 10HorseMan
At numerous shows i did not see to many 8n, 9n, or 2n's. If it is old their is less and less of them every day. ?:D
That is because most of them are still out working and earning there keep....

I have an 8n I had a 9n but needed the extra gear (4th) to move down the road from one field to another.I use a 6ft brush mower with it and drag a John Deere kba disc behind it and havent had any problems.Although Iwould recommend upgrading from a 6volt system to an 8 makes the starting easier.John