Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Jerky Landlord---pics of the parts "Tested"

MPH

Though we have a post going on these jerky ole B series tractors I started new cause of pictures. This is a simple deal guys so if your kinda new to these tractors don't be intimidated at removing two bolts. All I can really see wrong with mine is its all gummed up, like hot grease type of stuff. Cleaned the two plastic parts with brake cleaner, the slip side of the pulley on my bench grinder with a soft brush and the shaft side with emery cloth by cranking the starter. Not sure if there is suppose to be any lube between the plastic and metal or not, so thing I'll try dry Graphite, easy enough to remove again to wash out if it wrong. shaft side

Slip side

Marty, This has been interesting to me. My 61 Wards (same vintage) does not have that type of pulley. It uses a solid pulley, and does not have the jerky starting problem. It will take off smooth-as-silk if you feather the clutch, or will pull a wheelie if you come off it harder. Wonder why the Wards didn't have that setup. It has the rope pull-start assembly attached to the pulley, but the pulley is solid. Everything else looks to be the same. It was even the same faded color as yours, when I got it. BGB shaft and nut looks the same.

Thanks for posting how to fix this problem. The pictures were very helpful also. Perhaps we can move this to the Tech Tips section so its easily found. Thanks again, Ryan

Rod, Your 61 should be the same as the 700/725 not the Landlord. Now that I have the van back together I plan on getting at the 725 today as its always been bad at wheelies. Not sure its the same as there are several things changed on the Landlord. Not sure I fixed it yet guys, haven't test drove it, its blocked in the shop.

MPH, Not being a true historian, the names of these old machines don't really mean much to me. Guess I was thinking the B-series you were talking about was the same as a 725. By the way, I had a later model AC710 3-speed. It also used a solid pulley. On my Wards, there are two different mounting holes for the belt idler. If you change the mounting hole and the idler size, you can change the way the clutch engages. I specifically changed mine when we were tractor pulling to prevent burning up belts from slippage. Original setup was smoother, but would let the belt slip under heavy pulling loads. I wanted to kill the engine without slipping the belt, with an engine of around 20 Hp. Can be done.

:):)If you got over doing wheelies, and replacein' torn up parts back in your hot rod days running 1/4 miles, this simple fix is well worth it. Works like an ole 'slush pump'. Nice and smooth, except you can still dump the clutch if you want.

I have never had a problem starting off smoothly with either setup. My son gets a little hurried and pulls wheelies sometimes. After pulling this transaxle off and on for over 15 years, the only things we ever broke was the left hub that was held on with set screws and the key in the left diff gear. I did replace the axle and diff with a late model unit and shimmed the springs to produce enough friction that I can tighten the lug nuts with one wheel in the air. It will still turn a very tight corner without sliding one of the wheels.

The pulley on my B-1 is solid. A new belt will be "jerky" until it has been broken in. Then it is smooth as silk. I can pop wheelies or slip the clutch in slow & easy to control position precisely when mowing. My experience.

My 725 is a solid pulley also. Guess I'll try to clean the rust off with this set-up

Rod, which hole was your clutch idler in before you changed it? Mines in the outter most now and judging from the paint left the plant there.

I think mine was originally in the inner hole. Been around 15 years or more since I messed with it, my recall is a little feeble. I do know that I originally played with the hole position, the idler size and the overall motion of the clutch to get a good pedal motion and a belt that wouldn't slip. Just can't remember what came from the factory. Nearly everything I own has been tailored at one time or another to work the way I want it to. This was all done long before I ever heard of this club. Back then, it was just an old junk tractor to me. I didn't even know it was built by Simplicity. I just liked the design, and wanted to use it for tractor pulling.