Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tire chain question...

grlt1

I know it is almost spring and everyone is getting ready to start mowing, but someone at work has a set of tire chains they want to sell me. He doesn't know what size tire they fit. I brought them home today and put them on my tractor. They seemed a little loose. I don't know if I had them on incorrect or if they aren't the right size. My tractor has 23x10.5x12 tires. Does anyone know what the proper size chains are for that size tire? These chains measure 15" wide and 55" long overall. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Kevin

I recently cut down a set of chains from an automobile to fit my tractor. If they are wide enough, then all you need to do is shorten the length. A good set of bolt cutters or a hacksaw should do the trick.

I thread a bungy cord through the outside of the chain on the face of the wheel and it tightens it up just fine.

I know that 18x9.5x8 have 48inch long chains. I dont remember what the 23's take. Hope this helps. Elon

I found thids out this winter.. some of the Import tires are a little bit smaller in size then the american tires I had to take a pretty good amount off the length of my new chains to fit my 23X10.50X12 Deestones..