Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

simplicity 728 broadmoor help

bspt

I am trying to get a simplicity broadmoor 728 into spring shape and could use some help..... 1. Has anyone replaced the engine on this tractor..and if so..can you point me to a model that is suitable... 2. Are there parts out there available to rebuild the existing engine if necessary... (8 hp Briggs/stratton) 3. I thought my tiller would fit right on..but it looks like I am missing a hitch? or some sort of interface between the tractor and tiller? Any help will be appreciated... Thanks, Chris

Chris some pictures would help so we can give some help. Engine is rebuildable, or don't you have any? Don't know what you have for tiller but have a guess and there is a bundle of free information at this site is you take a half hour or so and browse the site.

Chris, This tractor needs a 19 cu in Briggs. 19x7xx series. Briggs no longer makes this engine or a short block. A 25 cu in engine will hit the grille. I believe your only option is to find ad 8 hp 19 cu in engine or rebuild your old one. I belive parts are readily available. The later 8 hp 28 cu in engine will not work. Physically too big. YOu may need the hitch for the tiller. These are good reliable little tractors and get around on hills unbelievably well. Good luck, Al Eden

Thanks guys..I will post pictures.... Called a guy who assured me that they don't make parts for the engine anymore..and recommended a 12 hp "program engine" that will "fit like a glove"...I'm not opposed to installing it if it will work..but I remember reading a little about 728 replacements....

The 10,11,12,12.5 horsepower aluminum L-head verticals will fit with few problems. I installed a (newly available) Briggs 10HP 25xxxx synchro-balanced engine in my dad's 728 Broadmoor in 1974. The only mods I had to do were to bump/bend out one of the front grill slats about 1/2" (and using a CJ-8 shorty spark plug), and extending the left side hood cut out an inch or so to clear the air filter. Granted, it was not a 100% sterile no-mods replacement, but consider your other lack of options (as Al stated). Tom(PK)

If your not in a big hurry to get it going you could watch ebay for a short block...I bought a New Old Stock shortblock for mine on there for $125..I need to put it on one of these days...

I have a 76 broadmoor, I put a 12hp briggs in it. It was tight but it fits. All I had to change is the air cleaner, and oil filler. I got the engine out of a crapsman off Ebay, price $50. Elon [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/lights3.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/simp8.jpg[/img]