Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What to do with motor

Boney

I was not sure where to post this, so feel free to move it. I have a good motor off of a walk behind mower 6hp 4 stroke. Trying to think of projects or tractor attachements i can build to use it . Any suggestions ? I believe it would be a vertical drive motor. thnx

I would guess this to be a vertical shaft unit, right? If so, there are quite a few units out there that could use a good replacement motor and you might find something for a song. I am thinking of taking a couple of my old Broadmoors, using the front wheels, the frame and some kind of rear wheel device to make my own "tow behind" mowers. I would love to get a 9' swath cut on each trip around the yard.

[img]http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/2500264_med.gif[/img] Something like this offset to the side, towed behind one of your mowers to save mowing time. Would need to be fairly small 26" or so. Pat Rarick built a double jobbie.

heyyyyy i like the battery charger idea. The mower itself is not good, i believe the blade clutch is broken, but the motor is good, and is a freebie :)

Ya know, a few years back, I remember reading some were about guys using altenators/batteries to do welding. I must have read it in a 4x4 mag. I dont know how they did it. Is it possable to make some sort of welder with an engine and a car altenator? Would you need a few altenators? Told ya you got me thinking! LOL Elon

I read an article many years ago in "Mother Earth News" about a guy who made a DC welder from a 3.5 Hp mower and a car alternator. Mounted the alternator in the discharge chute and hooked it to the engine with a belt. Mounted a battery in front of the motor and hooked the alternator to the battery through a couple of Chrysler ballast resistors (1.0 Ohm) to prevent killing the engine when the welding arc was struck. Welding leads were hooked to the battery. It would only make enough current to weld with a 1/8 inch rod, but supposedly welded very nicely.

That one from the Mother Earth News, The welding was done basicaly with Deep cycle batteries and the alternator was there to help recharge the batteries.. You can drive a 50 amp alernator with a 5 hp engine but full load will almost stall it. An older 37 amp would be a better idea for the charger IMO. And as for the welder, A 10 or 12 hp engine would be a much better idea and run the batteries in series for 24 volts.. 12 makes for some big time rod sticking for me ! But then, I'm not much of a welder.. Salt

the engine is not a show type motor, it is maybe 2 years old, the motor is good but the mower may not be worth rebuilding,

quote:
Originally posted by ehertzfeld
Ya know, a few years back, I remember reading some were about guys using altenators/batteries to do welding. I must have read it in a 4x4 mag. I dont know how they did it. Is it possable to make some sort of welder with an engine and a car altenator? Would you need a few altenators? Told ya you got me thinking! LOL Elon
If you want an hook up like an alternator but is actually a welder i have such a unit. It is not intended for a 6 horse motor but a 10 horse or 20 will do ok as the welder web site indicates. Scrapping one togeather is possible based on that Mother Earth News artical. however the one discribed does not produce 150 amps as the one www.zena.net sells. I paid $650.00 because i bought additional stuff like the auto accelerate and quick connects on the cables. However it was on sale for $350.00 http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19691 The welder did get hot, but the pully size was wrong. That has been corrected and does not generate much heat now, no matter if the rod size is 7/32 or 1/8