Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hood Knobs

mwells

We are looking into having the hood knobs made for B-10's, Big Ten and B-12's and Simplicity models also. They would be made out of stainless steel that could be polished to near chrome looks. The price would be $25.00 each knob plus shipping. We never got a price on nickel or chrome plating because everyone said that would make them much more expensive. How many of you would be interested in these? Thanks

I am making my own hood bolts. My only expense will be the time it takes me to make it. Chrome plating will probally be less than $10 for my set of 4.

I agree,$100 is alot of money for mounting the hood...I sure would like to get some new or like new ones but thats alot for my working tractors... What ever happend to the guy that placed ads here....Seems like he was making them out of stainless and selling a pair for like $25+shipping...

I'm a machinist if I had acess to a cnc lathe since my new job doesn't allow government projects. These would only take about 2 minutes a piece to machine and another few minute to press in stud. Then all they would need is polished or chromed. I wouldn't think they would cost that much.

Im going t get a bunch of knurled head screws from Grainger. They have black oxide finish. they come in several sizes from 1/4-3/8 thread. Priced from $2.30-$3.81 each pice. They also have just the knobs in stainless. Same sizes and the others. Priced from $4.38-$9.98 If any of you want more info let me know I have all the stock numbers and prices. Let me know and I'll give then to you. I've done the hard work. "looking thru the 3000 page catalog!LOL Elon

Yes I agree that $100 would be a little high and I don't know how many would pay that just for collection purposes..

Does anyone have the specifics on size. Would it be possible for someone to measure and do a quick drawing of what specs are?

Agricola Just measured one up here it is. A=.875" B=.660" C=.375" D=45 degree angle .150x.150 L=.780" The rod that goes thru the bolt is .250"x2" long with .562" sticking out on both sides of the head and the center line of the thru the bolt head is .210" from the end. The thread is 5/16x18 threads per inch. what software did you use to draw the picture I sure hope its not ADOBE because it freezes up my computer. Does anyone else have this problem with ADOBE? Sorry about the decimals points to the third place. I'm a machinist and that the way I think when measureing things. TOAD270

Todd, No, I did not use any software to draw the picture. I just copied it from McMaster-Carr's website. Bad John.. Bad John.

this one looks realy close Thumb Screws Part Number 93015A218 $6.88 Each Material 18-8 Stainless Steel Size 5/16"-18 Length 1" Head Style Knurled Screw Type Dog Point

from http://www.mcmaster.com/

Those sure are some nice finds for replacement hood bolts. It is amazing what you can find if look hard enough.

ac simplicity hood bolts just seen these on ebay current bid was $22.50 time left 1 day 18 hours. Harmony N.C. did not fine what kind metal that they were made of.

quote:
Originally posted by rjgoth
I am making my own hood bolts. My only expense will be the time it takes me to make it. Chrome plating will probally be less than $10 for my set of 4.
I was curious as to who was going to plate them for you?If you don't mind me asking?

I'm curious too Ryan who's going to do your chrome plating around here for $10? Got a few parts myself that need chrome plating.

I was going to say Mcmaster-carr too. What about J.R.Reid? they have alot of handles, knobs, jigs, etc?

When we got quotes to have these made, we asked for 100 pieces. We are only interested in making the original style because, as many of you stated and showed there are many "other" replacements available. Right now it looks like we are going to have to go to (man, I hate to say it)China or find a member of someone with their own turning laythe, to see if we can keep the price down for you guys that aren't "purists". Thats ok everyones different

I talk to a guy today that makes mine.but he is slow on getting them plated.Whick i have sold a couple of set to club.Im going to check with a place alot closer to me and see if they can make them.And i will let you all know what i find out.Tony