Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
RenegadeJ

Axle seal

RenegadeJ
Last fall when working with the B-112 she snapped an axle tube. Parked it for couple weeks and then decided to change the entire transmission as I have quite a few spares. Took one off the bench in the shed that appeared to be the best looking one. All of them were filled with gear lube when the were put on tne bench and none of them leaked. Lo and behold after about a week the seal on the axle tube on the left side began to drip oil. Don't mind changing it as I have new seals but does anybody know an easy way to remove the old seal or do I just chisel it out?

RenegadeJ
Reed...Thanks for directing me to that post that you did. I don't know how I missed it as I am on this site almost daily. I see it was posted in June 2003. That is when I was out of town for 2 weeks. Sure nice to have people like those on this site that are willing to help.

bigcountry
I just replaced the axle seal on my John Deere 140, and let me tell you, it is a very aggravating process. DO IT BEFORE YOU INSTALL THE TRANSMISSION. You will understand why. I had to get a slide hammer to get the hub off the axle, then take a small enough screwdriver and turn it to get the bearing to move, used some PB Blaster to loosen it up, and used a hammer to tap the screwdriver shaft to pull the axle out. The seal was about an inch or an inch and a half in, and I used channel locks to pull the seal out after trying several other unsuccessful methods. Then I put the new seal on the axle shaft and slid it back in and I have been trying to drive it back in with a sledge hammer and a cushioning board in between, it's almost there, but I've still got about an 1/8" to go. I've busted 2 boards so far trying to drive it back in. Now I know what I did is on a different tractor, but, I think that they work pretty much the same way, regardless of what symbol is on the hood.