Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Trimming the shrubs

stormy2163

This may be the wrong forum for this question.Would you folks tell me what you use to trim your shrubs?It's that time again.Last year I used a pair of those big sicissors:Dthat did not work to well.It took forever and I could not get them even.What do you suggest?A cordless contraption,etc. and if you go this route how do you go about shapening the blades or do you just replace them?How about cost..are they expensive?:)

Stormy, Depending on the size of the shrub I use several different tools. If the branchss are very thick I use a long handled lopper. This tool can cut up to a 3 inch branch off. If I am doing detail work, (small branches) I use a pair of hand pruners. If I am shaping the shrub I have a pair of loppers with a long blade. The blade on this tool is about 6 inches long. What ever tool you get, don't get a cheap one. It will not work very well. It will be hard on your hand and hard on the sharp. Get a quality tools and they will last a long time. I usually purchase felco tools. High quality and easy to use. I use to take these tools to a local man who would sharpen them for less than the cost of sharpening stones. Usually, I could drop them off one day and pick then up the next. He died this past christmas so I am not sure what I will be doing this summer. I think I am going to dig out my sharpening stones and polish up some old unused skills. One last thing, some shrubs like to be cut in the fall and some like to be cut in the spring. Before you do major cutting, be double check a plant book or the local gardening center as to what the plant as and when it likes to be cut. This only applies if you are doing major work on the brush. If you are unsure of the plant, take a small cutting and bring it with you. I have done that several times and the gardening center is usually able to identify it. I hope this helps. Please note I live in Maine and some of my advice may not apply to you, given the fact you live in the south. Rick........

I just hope I have some live shrubs to trim this year. The darn rabbits girdled just about every one this winter. Guess next year I'm gonna have to take up hunting again. I use battery powered hedge trimmer from Home Depot nothing fancy but does the job.

At my old house i used 1988 Ford Ranger 4x4 At new house I used hand powered hedge trimmers. is there any attacthments for the tractor for this? LOL

I have a Mantis tiller that I bought a hedge trimmer for.You take the motor off the tiller and mount on the hedge trimmer.I like it and it does a good job. If this was available when I was looking at the Mantis, I would have probably gone with this system. http://www.stihlusa.com/multitask/KM110.html

I'm surprised no one has mentioned doing the sides with an A/C sickle in the vertical position [:0];):D

Don't recommend it, and I don't know how they lived through it, but a couple of brothers in town had a very interesting way of trimming the top of their hedge. They removed the handle from a walk behind rotary mower. Bolted a chain on each side and ran a pole through the chain. Then started the mower, and walked along the hedge, one on each side, with the pole resting on their shoulders. Quite a sight if you stood back to watch. Pat

quote:
Originally posted by toad270
At my old house i used 1988 Ford Ranger 4x4 At new house I used hand powered hedge trimmers. is there any attacthments for the tractor for this? LOL
Could you explain the Ford Ranger process in detail:D To those of you who took me seriously Thanks for giving me some options to choose from and look for.:)I'm still not sure which way to go.I do think an extention cord would be difficult to deal with.The Shindaiwa looks pretty neat.Dutch do you have one of those?Is it light?I have to have something light.I don't have any nerves or muscle in the left side of my back so its got to be light to tote around and easy to use. Rick I'm going to check on the Felco tools.These are shrubs that are up next to my house and I have no idea what they are.But if you say they are easy to use I will take your word for it and check them out. Mack I couldn't see the video but I will keep trying.Thanks again everyone. Moose,4x4's,Tom Sawyer and blondes you guys sure can make things tough on a gal.:D:p

quote:
Originally posted by rokon2813
I'm surprised noone has mentioned doing the sides with an A/C sickle in the vertical position [:0];):D
[:0][:0]^

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
Hey, I was being honest Robin, Them criters keep mine pruned ever winter.
Least its less work for you;)

quote:
Originally posted by stormy2163
quote:
Originally posted by rokon2813
I'm surprised noone has mentioned doing the sides with an A/C sickle in the vertical position [:0];):D
[:0][:0]^
Haban has the procedure for using their mower in the vertical position for doing the sides of shrubs. It is a bit hazardous but sounds like it would work. For my hedges, I use a Craftsman electric hedge trimmer. It is a double action type where both top and bottom move. This makes for less vibration. I have had it for 12 years,