Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Repair thoughts on 4041

I have been searching for a compact tractor for my property this spring. Never considered or new much about Simplicity tractors until today. Noticed on my way home recently a tractor/loader/tiller/box scraper combo parked on someones lot. Stopped in to inquire whether or not it was for sale(Simplicity 4041). Guy said it has been a headache. Bought it 3 months ago for $2500. After 3 hours of use, he said the 'hydro' went out and it won't move. Engine and attachments work. He took it to some fly by night repair yard and $1750 later it still doesn't move. Shop won't honor their work so he's screwed. He's willing to sell it as a loss. Got him to name a price of $2000 but think he would go cheaper. My questions: 1. What is the track record for the hydrostatic drives and their repair costs? 2. With this in mind, would it be a good plan to get this machine cheap enough, have it professionally repaired, and have a basically decent working machine? 3. What other things should I look for? Should I ask to see if I can pay to have an estimate done on repairs? I just found this forum tonight and always have been a fan of this information. Thanks in advance.

Floydster
The Sundstrand Hydro's on these tractors will last forever when properly maintained, I would think it would still be a good buy at $2000 with all the attachments. Floydster

I found out more about this tractor recently. The hydro did work prior to taking it into the shop. He had it serviced while it was there and shortly after he started using it, it stopped moving. Could this be caused by air getting into the hydro system and it not working? This may be an easy 'fix' that he doesn't realize. I'm going to look closer at this on Saturday.

• 2 weeks later...
Here's a problem that I ran into on mine (And I would think the most likely one after re-reading your last post): I purchased a filter for the hydrostatic transmission from a local auto parts store. They had a filter that fit physically, but it had some differences of one sort or another. Changed oil in the transmission and installed the new filter. Operation seemed a bit sluggish. After about 10 hours of running time the tractor quit moving altogether. Turns out that for some reason this filter was not compatible with the system. Put on a new OEM filter and it has performed flawlessly since then. It's quite possible that this repair shop did the same thing and substituted the wrong filter for the tranny. Other things to check: *** Main drive belt tension. If they are too loose, they will usually squeal due to slippage. Access is by removing the two bolts that hold the transmission cooler. After the bolts are removed, you can lift the cooler just enough to get at the belt tension adjustment. *** Flex Plate Bolts. There are two flex plates on the hydrostatic drive shaft, one at each end. There is a third one if your tractor has the rear PTO, but this is on a different shaft. If some of the bolts came loose (I've had this happen) the shaft will run off center and chatter or rattle. (Lots of noise). If the plate itself sheared off or broke the result would be the same, but maybe with just a clunk rather than chatter. Access is by removing the belly pan. *** Hydro pump oil supply hose. I had to replace mine a few years ago because it had become soft enough that it would 'suck flat'. There was no wire coil inside the hose like you would normally find in side a suction hose, but I don't know if the hose I removed was the original or not. Access is by removing the belly pan. *** This may sound stupid, but: was the three speed gearbox in neutral? There have been hundreds of times (if not thousands) when I have gotten on my tractor, eased the hydro lever ahead only to go nowhere. Gearbox was in neutral. Reason for this is that the neutral position for the hydro unit is real touchy, especially if the tractor is cold, and it can creep if I don't put the gearbox in neutral and set the parking brake. You also need to put it in neutral to tow or push the tractor. Those would be the most common things that I can think of and have experienced at one time or another. I hope that these tips help you solve your problem, as the tractor you are looking at is well suited to the tasks you have for it, especially with all of those attachments. Good Luck!